Traded Coins To Caches

Lemon Fresh Dog

Hello all, I have a question.

If you were to trade for some personal coins and then decided to place these coins in caches -- is that okay? The reason I ask is that once they are in caches, they are pretty much out of your control and if they end-up on eBay, I understand that some folks get a little upset.

Personally, I would never part with most coins I have, but I do have a few extra personal coins and have even placed a few into caches previously (Woss This, Woss New, Was Happening). Now I am wondering if that was in bad form?

I can't see why it wouldn't be ok. You trade coins to people that would be very unlikely to ever see your coin in a cache or otherwise. And the ones in caches usually get picked up by people as souvenirs. I suspect the number that end up on ebay as opposed to the number that are actually kept as souvenirs is rather small.

Speaking of trading. How about a gold geobone for one of my personal coins. I'll meet you at the park for the exchange some evening. hehe

Hello all, I have a question.

If you were to trade for some personal coins and then decided to place these coins in caches -- is that okay? The reason I ask is that once they are in caches, they are pretty much out of your control and if they end-up on eBay, I understand that some folks get a little upset.

Personally, I would never part with most coins I have, but I do have a few extra personal coins and have even placed a few into caches previously (Woss This, Woss New, Was Happening). Now I am wondering if that was in bad form?

Bad form? Since when are random acts of kindness bad form?

Finding a geocoin (even if it is a wooden nickel) in a cache is the ultimate! Spread the plaque, throw a coin in a cache every now an then.

Some members of ICE actually place the coins they buy into caches. I'm not sure how you obtained the coin matters. If you buy it on eBay, get it in a trade, win it at an event, made it yourself, or buy it when released...It's your coin and putting it into a cache is a good thing. This is geocaching after all. That's where the tradition started. Signature items weren't designed for trade. Imagine if moun10bike made his coin and said to the world "I've got these nifty coins and they are only available for trade..."

Edited by Renegade Knight