Getting Started

carolalma

Newbie does not describe how "new" I feel. On this site I have searched for cache locations in my zip code. Then, I have checked three that I'd like to know about. But, I cannot get the info downloaded into my computer. Never mind the GPS just yet, I want to get to know the sport before I purchase one. I seem to have successfully loaded EasyGPS if that helps. What am I not doing correctly? Thanks.

To read about the cache (description, logs by other cachers, etc), just click on the name of the cache rather than the checkboxes. The names that show up in the zipcode search are linked to the detailed cache pages. I think this is what you're looking for - that'll let you read up on different caches in your area, see how easy/hard they are, whether other cachers particularly enjoyed them, maybe look at the cache's gallery page (if anyone's posted pictures), see the location on a variety of online maps, and just generally get a feel for things.

The checkboxes will let you download the bare bones info about the caches - basically just name and the coordinates, without descriptions, logs, hints, etc. It's mostly useful if you have a GPSr that can be hooked into your computer - check the boxes for the caches you want to do, download the waypoints, then use software (like EasyGPS) to transfer the coordinates to your GPSr. (Premium members get additional options for obtaining cache info where the file includes the description, hints, and recent logs - a nice perk if you end up getting seriously hooked on geocaching and want to have detailed cache info available on a PDA/laptop/etc. :anibad:)

If your GPSr doesn't provide a way to download waypoints from your computer, you can definitely just enter the coordinates manually - my brother's been manually entering waypoints for the past year, and he's still alive and caching! B)