Garmin Mapsource Software

Tex&Capie

I haven't had any problems with my mapsource - had it since December '04. I enjoy viewing the "profile" of my more strenuous hikes and find it understandable to use.

As a side note, as a 60CS owner, I don't have a choice. From what I understand, it's the only map we can use with our 60CSs.

OP

Edited by Oreo Pony
I haven't had any problems with my mapsource - had it since December '04. I enjoy viewing the "profile" of my more strenuous hikes and find it understandable to use.

As a side note, as a 60CS owner, I don't have a choice. From what I understand, it's the only map we can use with our 60CSs.

OP

It depends on what you mean, by "use" with your 60CS. Mapsource (in its various forms) is the only map software that let's you download maps to your Garmin GPS.

However, most other mapping software (Topo! for instance) will let you upload/download waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.

For what it's worth, I use MapSource City Navigator (it comes with the Garmin StreetPilot 2610 et al) for downloadable maps with my 60CS. This does not have topographic information in it, but it does allow me to do turn-by-turn routing to get to caches in unfamiliar areas. You can buy the Map Source City Select package for this purpose for the 60CS if you don't already have (or want to buy) a StreetPilot.

I use Topo! for topographic maps. I can upload a track of where I've been and see the profile etc. The only thing that it doesn't let me do is download topo maps into my 60CS. This isn't important to me, but of course, it may be important to you.

For what it's worth, I've used MapSource Topo as well as the City Navigator package. I don't have any major complaints nor have I had any problems with either variant of MapSource.

Your mileage may vary...

As much hiking as I do, I've felt the need to purchase the Topo software. Especially, now that Google Maps and Google Earth is available free. But then again, if you folks do alot of camping/hiking, it may be worth it for you. If you don't, you'd be better off with City Select, the MapSource mapping software that will bring auto-routing to your GPS.

You won't be disappointed. Once you start using that, you will never go back. You'll be using auto-routing for everything. It's especially useful when you go out of town; just plug in an address and you will get there without fail.

The complaining is that the GPS will only accept the proprietary software by MapSource. But hey, they have to make their profit to remain competitive. Another complaint is with updates. You can't download updates; you have to buy the software anew to update the mapping/topo software. Again, profit. Magellan does the same thing.

You can't download updates; you have to buy the software anew to update the mapping/topo software.  Again, profit.  Magellan does the same thing.

If you go to the Garmin webpage, you can order updates to MapSource. As Chuy says, it's not a download -- they send you a new CD of the latest version. It's also not cheap ($75 for City Select) but it is cheaper than buying a new copy of the software. Fortunately, you don't need to buy every update. Many people buy an update every other year or every third year...

I forgot to mention, if you elect to go with the mapping software, and you haven't purchased accessories, go for the navigation kit. It includes navigation kit, it includes the software, sandbag mounting bracket (what I use the most), semi-permanent mounting bracket, and a car DC adapter. Offroute.com has them for $160.00. Not bad considering Garmin sells just the software for $140.

It sounds like ya'll are recommending CitySelect over the Topo software for everyday geocaching? We don't do hiking or camping off in the middle of nowhere but have just been caching in local parks etc. Thanks for the info. This will help me point Capie in the direction of my b-day gift!! ;)

All mapping products (City Select, City Navigator, MetroGuide, etc...) contain the same MapSource mapping software that allows you to create waypoints, routes, download maps, etc... This mapping software, currently currently 6.8, is updated periodically.

Before a company updates the current version, they sometimes make the work-in-progress version available to their users for feedback. This is called a beta version. You don't have to download it, but to experience the proposed features for yourself, you will need to download. The 6.9 beta webpage explains the changes being proposed and bugs they have addressed.

There are some very welcomed features being considered for the next update.

Two of my favorites:

1- MapSource will be able to open .loc files.

2- Under the VIEW drop down menu, you can transfer all waypoints in the current application over to Google Earth where you can save them for future reference.

I downloaded the Beta version and have not encountered any problems.

Edited by Chuy
I forgot to mention, if you elect to go with the mapping software, and you haven't purchased accessories, go for the navigation kit. It includes navigation kit, it includes the software, sandbag mounting bracket (what I use the most), semi-permanent mounting bracket, and a car DC adapter. Offroute.com has them for $160.00. Not bad considering Garmin sells just the software for $140.

You can get that car navigation kit for less than $160 - it was about $130 on Amazon last time I looked, and lots of other places sell it too. At couple of months back it was on offer in Best Buy stores for $100, but they sold out pretty quickly and were just using up the end of their stock (and I was too late to get one at that price ;) )