Which Of These Units Would You Recommend?

mdegra

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to handheld GPS units. I have a Garmin GPSMap on my boat, but i want one that I can use in the woods and on my smaller boat. I will really just be using it for navigating from point A to Point B, etc. Out of these GPS units, which one would you guys recommend (I don't want to spend over 250 or so): Lowrance iFinder H20, Magellan eXplorist 300, or the Garmin eTrex Legend. I don't care about color, and I'm not sure if I would sync this unit up to my PC too often. So, for a guy who just wants a GPS to find his way around the woods and around the marsh, which of these (or any other suggestions) would be the best unit? I hear the lowrance units are a little tough to learn. Thanks in advance,

Martin

So, for a guy who just wants a GPS to find his way around the woods and around the marsh, which of these (or any other suggestions) would be the best unit? I hear the lowrance units are a little tough to learn. Thanks in advance,

Martin

Martin,

E. None of the above.

Go buy an iFinder GO. It's cheap, waterproof, as accurate as any unit on the market and it runs far longer on a couple of AAs than anything available.

You're right, Lowrance units are harder for Garmin/Magellan users to learn to use. It literally takes forfreakingever to break them of the habit of stumbling around in circles while their unit tries to get a good signal and settle down. Worse yet, it's almost impossible for them to figure out that you get much better features for a lot less money(Check the pricing on a gargellan with base mapping against the iFinder GO).

Lowrance units have a slightly different menu system than gargellans and if you're too anal or too dense to figure that menu system out you probably shouldn't be out in the woods with a GPSr anyway.

I'd go with the iFinder H20. Its a great unit and if you get the Plus package you can get it complete with mapping software in your price range. See my review in Todays Cacher.

I'd avoid the iFinder Go previously mentioned. There is no PC connection, so you can't load detailed maps or upload waypoints. The base map is so lacking in detail that its virtually useless. Nothing more than a gimmick. You said you won't synch it up with your PC often, but at least with the H20 you have that option.

The Lowrance units are a bit harder to figure out than the Gargellan units, but if you have half a brain you can handle it. If you're one of those people whose VCR continually flashes 12:00 because you can't figure out how to set it, then you could have problems.

Edited by briansnat

You should now that if you are going to be in the woods alot, reception will not be as clear as when on the water. Among the better units in picking up signals are the new Garmin 60 series.

I would recommend the new GPS Map60. It lists $321 at Garmin.com, but you can find them for much less; Offroute.com has them for $240.

These units have excellent battery life (a claimed 28 hrs). You get plenty of memory (24mb) if you later decide to purchase the optional mapping/topo software. A big plus is the unit supports auto-routing.

Other features of the unit includes: an alarm clock; sunrise/sunset and moon phase tables; and optimal hunting and fishing times.

Good luck with whatever unit you decide on.

Edited by Chuy

Ok guys, I just picked up a Meridian gold for 199 bucks at Wally world. But I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I was wondering about the "boomerang effect" I've read about on this site? Is this a problem with the meridian gold? I bought the unit because I've heard some good stuff about it, it's waterproof, nice sized screen, and you can use an SD card in it. Any other units for around 200 bucks that are better than this one?

The Merigold is a good buy for $200. But yes, you might run into the boomeranger with it. I didn't find it to be a big deal, myself...when you get within about 75-100 feet, slow down (or even stop moving) for a minute. If you're in a hurry, powering off and back on also seemed to do the trick--although you will have to reset your goto if you do that.

Today, I went to my sisters house which is 75 miles away from my home. Oppps....I have a Merigold.....turned on my unit as I was leaving my driveway and when I arrived at my sisters house and pulled in to her driveway...my Merigold was within 6 feet of the coordinates that I input from my last visit to her house. I did NOT do any slowing down or have ANY boomerang effect when I checked my position at my destination. ALSO...on the return trip, when pulling into my driveway, I was within 3 feet (!!!) of the coordinate spot which is marked on my driveway. NO slowing down and NO boomerange effect.

I LOVE MY MERIGOLD................