New Proposal

Cool, at the moment there is one in Massachusetts and two in Rhode Island; the one in Newport is a travelling, roving or nomadic Art o Mat sponsored by Project One. This from their website:

An Art*o*Mat is a vintage cigarette machine which has been reconditioned to vend art. 400 artists from 10 countries make the art vended by these machines. The machines are produced by an artist in North Carolina named Clark Whittington. Clark has made about 63 of these machines, each one unique, and installed them in museums, galleries and arts-friendly businesses and institutions across America.

Project One commissioned this machine in the summer of 2003, through the assistance of a grant from the Rhode Island Foundation and a sponsorship arrangement with Newport This Week. It was the first one in RI. The Project One Art*o*Mat moves to a new area business every few weeks, making it the only nomadic Art*o*mat in the world! Current mileage is…. 860 miles.

059u1959.jpg

Jeremy, as I understand it Art o mats can be purchased by stores and or those promoting the Arts. I hope you get one. :rolleyes: I on the other hand would just like to be the owner of this waymark catagory. I was out caching in the Lambertville area of NJ this summer and I found this lovely little Art O Mat. The owner told me that they are all over the country, and I was intrigued. Came home thought that this has somewhat of a wow factor, found the art o mat web site and then made my proposal for a new catagory for a waymarks..

Edited by chstress53

Bringing up the Art O MAt Proposal again with some more info"

Art O MAts are where

Small original art is sold in vending machines.

Picasso a bit too pricey? Not to worry: for a mere five bucks, a vintage cigarette machine called the ART*O*MAT will dispense an original work of art with the pull of a lever. Collectors get a cigarette pack-sized sculpture, watercolor painting or stained glass mobile to call their own. The vintage art dispensing machines, 78 in all, are the brainchild of artist Clark Whittington. ARt*O*Mats are acrosss the country in places like the Chicago Cultural Center, the Whitney Museum in New York, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Los Angeles and the Oceanside Museum of Art, as well as in cafes, restaurants and grocery stores around the country. Hundreds of artists submit their work to this project. Art*O*Mat customers don't get to choose a specific piece of art work, so the piece they receive is a surprise, just like the random dispensing of novelty toys in a gumball machine<although you do pick the Artist just like you were selecting M& M's over Mars Bars.

Whittington, the 30-something artist behind Art*O*Mat was inspired to package art in cellophane. The artist, who lives in Winston Salem, NC, says he was lucky to have had the idea at a time when lots of old cigarette machines being thrown away, so he could find lots to salvage. Whittington recruited artists to fill the machine and it's been in place ever since.