High Arch

raptnblue

Hi,

I'm a newbie to caching, but do a little hiking also. I have very high arches and am looking for a high quality gore-tex boot, not too heavy, but with good ankle support. Would consider a 8in boot also but I'm not sure if Danner sells the Eagle in women's sizes. Can someone help? Price isn't a problem as long as its quality and doesn't wear out in a year.

Leigh

Go to a well stocked specialty dealer of camping gear such as REI or EMS. Try several brands and styles and find a boot that Fits your foot.

While Vasque may fit your foot you will not know untill you try them on. With boots fit is everything. Also were the sox you will be hiking in. Stay away from cotton sox they are not good for your feet. I like at least 30% wool, the more the better though. If you can get to a Costso they have some hiking sox made by Head in a three pack for about $10.00, I bought some to try themn out an they are good sox.

Lots of people are going to recomend what has worked for them, this always happens when this topic is brought up. Of course what works for them may not work for you. I can wear Vasque boots, I have two pair, I can also a pair of La Sportiva boots that I can wear. But I cannot wear Merrill or Raichle, it does not mean they are bad boots as a matter of fact they are very good boots, it jst means they do not fit my feet.

Plan to spend some time try them on and wear them around your house for a few hours to make sure the fit properly.

For more reading try this link

Buying boots

Edited by JohnnyVegas

What he <JohnnyVegas> said!

That expressed, I'm also a gurl w/an unusually high arch, and recently purchased a pair of boots I'm loving. Check out the Salomon Mega Trek 6 Light GTX. Lightweight, sturdy and comfortable. A little pushy on the front of the ankle, but I'm having hardly any trouble breaking them out of that, and I need the support anyway.

Hate to add to the noise JV predicted, but just a suggestion...

:P

JVegas hit the nail on the head. Boots that are heaven for one person can be living hell for another, so don't go by what another person says. Different brands are designed to fit different kinds of feet. If you do find a boot that fits, you can pretty much stay with that brand in the future.

That being said I have a very high instep and two brands that fit me are Salomon and LL Bean. This is not a recommendation, but it could be a starting point in your search.

Some other makers of quality hiking boots are Merrell, Vasque, Scarpa, Rachlie, Danner, Asolo, Lowa, Technica, Zamberlan and Alico. While they all make great boots, they may or may not be right for you.

Boots that are heaven for one person can be living hell for another, so don't go by what another person says.

Ditto, Ditto. I have a high arch as well and 15 years ago I bought a pair of Vasque Skywalkers (I don't think there are made anymore) that seemed to be made for my foot. I have put three new soles on them through the years and after saving my wife from the house fire, they are second. (she made me write that, actually I would put on the boots and then drag her out). The point is they have to fit you, regardless of what company stamps their name on the outside. If you get the sale wonk rolling his eyes at you as you try on the fourteenth different pair your getting close. You gotta have good wheels in this sport, make sure you get the best for YOU.

I've got a bunion on one foot that's really been getting worse over the last few years. Which manufacturer makes reallly wide sizes? Any provide boots where you can select different sizes for right and left or am I into custom made?

Tks Alan

Wide boots are very hard to find, Vasque offers what I recall is a Variable Fit System. These are insoles of that Very in the amount of room the take up in the boot. For a wide foot you try a very thin insole, for a narrow foot you try a thick insole, this system works for some people.

Vasque does offer the Sundowner in a Wide and a few others, the problem is finding a dealer that has them. You might try a Red Wing shop, Redwing owns Vasque so my guess is they would carry the full line of sizes.

I have high arches, narrow heels, and wide toes (and a wannabee neuroma on my left foot). The curved last on Vasques are murder on my feet. I've had good luck with boots by Salomon, Technica, and Ariat. I also put Superfeet or Spectrum Stabilzer insoles into all my shoes. They cost $25-35 and make me just as happy as custom orthotics ($400) would. Find a GOOD shoe store. Have the salesperson figure out what last you need. They should then be able to choose brands with that type of last for you to try on. Also try a few different insoles just for jollies. You might find something you really like.

(if the sales staff doesn't know what a "last" is, leave. Last is the over all shape of the shoe, the midline from center heel-ish to 2nd toe-ish. If you drew a line connecting those two points through the sole would it curve inward or go straight? My feet like straight lasts. My ex's feet like curved lasts. Everyone is different. Knowlegable sales staff are valuable resources!)