I Have A Question

My guess would be just a naming stucture that came with the advent of GPS surveying. These points would have been called Triangulations station in the past, but that did not fit the use for these monuments. Simply said, a point on the ground that was determined using GPS equipment at survey grade, which would serve as a GPS base for future work in the area.

CallawayMT

Edited by CallawayMT

Thank you CallawayMT - I 'got the point' about the 'stations'.:ph34r:

We were wondering if it could be so simple an explanation. That does make sense.

Now we have another one to watch for...a triangle with a dimple in it to signify a Surveyor Grade GPS Point or Station -- meaning they are an accurate mark.

And Max Cacher - :) - thank you also. I had a good laugh over your comment....

Shirley~

Someone correct me, but from the looks of the pic of the Oregon mark named TOMB, it looks to me like the center dot is rising from the center as opposed to the indent that we usually see.

I am unable to tell which way the center is going in the pic from GOLDEN HEART, but the color shade is very much different from the engraved portions of the disk leading me to think it is also rising upward.

Is this correct? Is the rising center dot an indication of a GPS station?

Edited by Spoo

As a note, where did the second disk come from?  Is it a PID?

The second picture came from this thread where another picture shows the coordinates. We did not find it in the Geocaching database.

John

Perhaps I should include the link HERE

It's an old age thing!

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

I would not over think the little things we notice differences in the survey markers too hard.

There are two basic markers. One will be about Height, known as a Bench Mark. One will be about Horizontal Position. It could be called Triangulation or GPS but are about a Latitude, and Longitude.

In a basic way, GPS uses a Radio Triangulation Scheme in the 1.5 GHz part of the Radio spectrum to do this. The GPS receiver uses "Triangulation Mathematics" (Trigonometry) to determine where it is as based on the radio signals it receives from the Satellites in space.

Just let the words on the disc remind you of these things when you see them, and let the datasheet for the disc tell you what kind of data, and the quality of the data you have on any particular station.

The advent of GPS has muddled what kinds of Data are actually ascribed to a Mark. These days it is easy for a mark to have both, or be given data it never previously had.

Hope that Helps,

Rob