Meridian Directroute Problems

First, let me explain that I have little patience these days to fight with software. 2 months ago my 18 yr old son was killed in a motorvehicle accident. At the end of this post, I will put a link that you can read of his too short time here with us. For now I will stay on track for my question but I prefice with this because he used to handle all our software "stuff". Our whole family including my Dad have Meridians. Danny used to load our maps for us using DirectRoute right onto SD cards. I have upgraded one of our original Meridian units to a color unit and my software now gives me an error that says I have reached the max number of GPS or SD cards that can be used and it stops there. The software is not cheap and I don't know what to try next. Can it be uninstalled and reloaded, is there a work around, can I load the program on another computer? I tried swapping SD cards and that works for the topo and waypoints but when I try changing the map it says security error. Any help would be appreciated. Danny would have been away to college by now and I knew I would be able to call him and ask but these days it is nothing but frustration that I just don't need. Please take time to read about Danny's life if you have the time.

http://www.lightlink.com/dananent/Danny.doc

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Edited by The Neverlanders

Hi Dan,

First let me say how sorry I am to hear about your loss. I read the beautiful things everybody had to say about Danny, and he sounds like a fantastic person.

I wish I could give you first-hand information about your software problem, but I haven't yet run into that issue. I did find a page on Magellan's site that might be helpful, though. It tells the steps that are necessary to change the serial number of the GPS that's registered to the software.

Here's what it says: "To do this, start MapSend Manager, click User Profile, click the “Edit” button, locate the MapSend product to be re-authorized. Next click the “Change” button. You will need Internet connection. Enter the new GPS ID and click “Continue.” The Magellan web will deactivate the old GPS ID and authorize the replacement GPS ID."

There are more detailed instructions here:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/prod...qsg.asp#install

Hopefully this will help, or hopefully someone who has actually done this can give you some pointers.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and to read about Danny. I looked at the page and it is a different program than mine. I didn't realize there was a difference. Mine is DirectRoute North America and there was different information for that. Nothing to solve my problem but I found a temporary fix. Using an old laptop, I loaded the program and was able to start fresh. It was very slow being an old processer but it worked. Thanks again for the help - I did find some good tips there,

Dan

Dan, there is a built-in limit in DirectRoute of something like 4 changes of the serial number before you run into the wall you encountered. A fresh install starts you over again, as you discovered.

To avoid having to jump through this particular hoop too often, I would suggest generating and storing the maps you are apt to need for each unit on the hard drive. You can then swap them to the SD card with a card reader as needed, rather than generating them "on the fly" from DirectRoute. You'll have to choose whichever path is less frustrating.

*If* you run into operating problems with any install you do, you may need to download an update patch from the Magellan web site. It depends on how old your DirectRoute program is (the newer version already has the update). If things are working ok, don't worry about this...it just fixes problems, it doesn't add any features.

Edit: I just took a link at the one GeekGirl provided. It provides some information about what the forthcoming version (this fall, reportedly) will offer.

Edited by embra