Armored Benchmark

Left Coast Labs

Used GPS and measures per the description, dug down about one inch and found this plate. I have seen some local like this, but they have a hole cut out so the mark is visible. Any reason why it would be completely covered?

35ba86ec-3fe0-4485-a9d2-63fb640deca3.jpg

I'm not going to pry this thing up which leads to the question of a found or not found. Location matches up, but I can not POSITIVELY ID the mark.

Sorry, overlooked the details. This is KR1832 (B446) near Fallon, NV. Checked the current data sheet on the NGS site which showed installation in 1991 and it made no mention of a plate being installed. As I mentioned, I have seen others locally that have similar plates, but they all have holes so you can actually see the mark. Even these have no record of a protective plate being installed, so I'm not sure who has done this or why. I have a call in to a local surveyor to see if he has any information.

For now, I'm just going to leave this one as a note on the reference page until I can get something more solid.

Edited by Left Coast Labs

LCL,

From the data sheet description, you have not located the correct bench mark monument. It will be a brass disk in the top of a concrete cylinder.

My guess for what you found is a plate inserted into concrete for welding a sign or some other object onto.

You may want to look around the area for the bench mark.

CallawayMT

I went back today and re-measured everything. This plate is within a foot of both road measures and from the witness post and stop sign post. I went out about 3-4 feet from my expected point and found nothing. This just has to be it.

It does have a different "sound" when tapped on the edges and in the center. As an aside, I found two other marks today that had the same kind of plate but with a hole in the center: KR 1829 & KR1838. I'm beginning to thinks somebody just forgot to use a plate with a hole.

edit: typo

Edited by Left Coast Labs

The FAQ will say you must read the brass disc, and this station is a brass disc, so you cannot log a find. If I were to use it for survey reasons, I would need to use the disc as well. This plate will do nothing for a Surveyor.

It would be up to you if you want a look under the plate. If you do remove the plate, please remember to replace everything as you found it.

Good luck!

Rob