Save Some Gas . . .

eaglespirit0

With almost all of the caches in a 15-mile radius having been found and the obnoxiously high price of gas, I have found my caching to come to a standstill. While I am endowed enough with a small car and enough money to fill it, I believe in energy conservation, and therefore, have prioritized that driving 50 miles to get a cache is not necessary. However, I still want to cache!

So . . . in these next couple of weeks until the energy crisis is over, I plan on staying local, finding the last 5 or 6 caches, and hiding a lot of caches. Not just simple, cache and dash, but more complex ones. For example, Treasure of Archbald. It is the first cache to be hidden in the Lackawanna Valley/Scranton area and only the second in Lackawanna County. I have another cache I plan to place this week that is a 2-2.5 mile walk along open fields overlooking the town of Archbald, and another one which will be at least a 3 mile walk round-trip. I'm also considering hiding a high terrain-rated letterbox, as the closest one is 45 miles away in the city of Stroudsburg.

So there's a simple solution to the problem of gas prices and caching: it gives you an opportunity to cache in a different way, it enables/inspires people to hide caches locally so they need not drive, and it saves energy!

If you have any caches you've hidden locally in the Northeast during this energy crisis, how about sharing them!

- JD

Not only can you get your 'fix' from hiding caches, you do a public service by supplying caches for other locals to find.  Sounds like a plan.

Joe, placed three caches for the LIGO guys yesterday near my house (RCA land). So as soon as NYADMIN reviews them you should have "Gas Price Hike", "Gas Pains" & " Gas Trick Remedies" to go for. To expensive to drive the jeep on the beach today so you'll probably get "Oils Well that Ends Well" up in Rocky Point RCA land placed today too. Bring the bike and you can get all of them from one looooooog bike ride or a killer hike from one parking area. Come to think of it a horse may be a better idea but you'd probably get saddle sore.

Placed five new ones close to each other in Mattituck area also for those doing the North Fork. Again up to NYADMIN for when (if) they get approved.

Edited by Waterspyder

Hey JD...how about at least ONE that's NOT a "ten miles across thorn-ridden rockslides with a 50' dropoff into an abandoned strip mine rumored to be home to at least three kinds of poisonous snakes and a serial-killer" cache!?!? Pleeeeeze! The kids of NEPA will thank you (ok, MIKEY will thank you, but that's worth a million bucks right there!). Or......ya wanna babysit? :lol:

It's not that bad ... it's a mile roundtrip, there's only one rockslide, and the hike/climb along the abandoned dam is fun! :( And there's no bushwacking. :lol:

I figured after hiding three extremely easy caches, I had to hide an adventure. I'm going to go place a 2.5 mile long cache near my house and perhaps another one on the other side of the highway from where I hid the Treasure of Archbald.

Then back to easier ones. :( Not that easy, though.

- JD

After seeing some of the log photos for your newest cache, I realized I know where it is (the location, not the cache itself). Before the highway was plunked down in the middle of everything, I used to go there with my friends to drink, shall we say "refreshing beverages". In fact, we drank a LOT of refreshing beverages back there! It used to be accessible by truck, but now I doubt it. Well, 2.5 miles could be worse, as long as you don't have to climb any creepy little ladders! Or swim in alligator-infested waters. Or use three kinds of handtools to access the cache. Etc. Etc.

With almost all of the caches in a 15-mile radius having been found and the obnoxiously high price of gas, I have found my caching to come to a standstill. While I am endowed enough with a small car and enough money to fill it, I believe in energy conservation, and therefore, have prioritized that driving 50 miles to get a cache is not necessary. However, I still want to cache!

So . . . in these next couple of weeks until the energy crisis is over, I plan on staying local, finding the last 5 or 6 caches, and hiding a lot of caches. Not just simple, cache and dash, but more complex ones. For example, Treasure of Archbald. It is the first cache to be hidden in the Lackawanna Valley/Scranton area and only the second in Lackawanna County. I have another cache I plan to place this week that is a 2-2.5 mile walk along open fields overlooking the town of Archbald, and another one which will be at least a 3 mile walk round-trip. I'm also considering hiding a high terrain-rated letterbox, as the closest one is 45 miles away in the city of Stroudsburg.

So there's a simple solution to the problem of gas prices and caching: it gives you an opportunity to cache in a different way, it enables/inspires people to hide caches locally so they need not drive, and it saves energy!

If you have any caches you've hidden locally in the Northeast during this energy crisis, how about sharing them!

- JD

You rock! Hide complex caches! Hide caches that take a long time to find and are at extremely interesting locations.

If you hide good caches in your area, you may inspire others to do so, and then you'll have more to find. :blink: