Benchmark As Geocache Stage

dingermcduff

Recently I hid 2 caches that happened to be near benchmarks. I really wanted to involve the marks in the hunt to expose cachers to benchmark hunting.

In one case I used digits from the benchmark that had to be plugged into a formula to get the final stage coords.

In the other (3 stages w/regular-sized final) I hid a first stage that gives the finder coords for 2 separate benchmarks. The note with the 1st stage states that the second stage is near one of the benchmarks but the hunter needs to figure out which one. Stage 2 is a micro container near one of the marks and contains the final coords. Both of these benchmarks are the rod style. I was concerned that people might try to pull/dig under/handle/otherwise disturb the marks looking for stage 2, so I note on the cache page that this is not necessary and provide a hint.

I'm wondering if anyone can think of any other potential problems I might have with involving benchmarks in caches (surveyors as muggles?) or other ideas on how I might incorporate them. I think that benchmark/geocachers who find these caches appreciate the chance to find and log both a cache and benchmarks on the same hunt--'specially with these gas prices.

I don't think you'll have any problems using the marks as stages provided that you make it clear on the cache page that the marks are not to be disturbed. Most people would tend to leave them alone anyway - most multi-seekers look for the needed info at a stage and move on.

I have two caches which incorporate benchmarks into the cache. They were placed to introduce cachers to the benchmarks and benchmarking in general. One is a virtual cache that partially uses the mark for verification, and the other is a regular cache (see GCD754) hidden near an old county courthouse with a 1903 vertical mark set in the wall and the spire is used as a triangulation station. While neither is necessary to find the cache, both marks are highly advertised on the cache page. I've had no problems with cachers bothering any of the marks in any way at either cache. I doubt you will either.

- Kewaneh