Sites Of (significant) Religious Significance

I'd be interested in the following...

Sites of (significant) Religious Significance...This is the oldest known buddhist temple in the US" as opposed to "this is where I first attended church"

Upon snooping around at waymark.com, I think I located this already. Although a religious place is not necessarily a religiou beuilding, likewise, a sports facility is not always a stadium. Maybe i just need to get more comfortable/adept at using the search functionality.

I think I'm liking this...although my current locationless finds are not showing in my stats yet...but I'm sure that's just a beta issue ;-)

-The Seven G's

Edited by The Seven G's

Thumbs up, especially if this category is subdivided, probably by religious institute (plus a separate one for non-denominiational religious waymarks). A discussion started in another thread about mormon sites.

thinking out loud on subcategories -

I would vote that these places would have to either be permanently used for religious purposes (excluding sports stadiums, for example, but including places like Cathedral of the Pines in New Hampshire), or have a historical marker explaining its 'religious significance.'

Possible subcategories:

- Religious buildings

- Sites of important religious events (thinking of things like a founding of a denomination, largest service)

- Religious structures turned into something else (lots of this happening in the Boston area) - must still be recognizable as once being a church/temple/meeting house/etc.

- Museums on this theme (is there a way to cross-reference waymarks so that you could have the same list appear under 'Museums'?).

- Shaker Villages - Some are museums, some are just locations.

Had trouble with categories that are less tangible, such as 'reported miracles/healings' since it isn't exactly a place where you are going to see that miracle, plus it would be hard for the person managing this category to substantiate claims. Perhaps only if there is an historical marker there.

Like I said, just thinking out loud!

Great ideas here! It seems the key to refining these categories is making the posting criteria for waymarks very specific. These category divisions are only the start. Since religion can be such a personal thing anything can really be posted as a 'significant' site. The category or subcategory moderator is really the crux of making this all work. These sites really do need to be places that will be of interest to more than one person. I certainly don't want to wade through a tedious list of waymarks.