How To Graphically Choose Caches On Pocket Querry?

georcfun

hi,

little behind on learning curve.... and running out of time...

going on trip to yellowstone and grand teton national parks,

have pocket querries of caches all over area,,,

my garmin quest will only hold 500 waypoints,,

what is a good technique to easily narrow down the number of caches to just those in the parks?? hoping to display on map and then choose points ?? or some other way or use some other program ??

i also wanted to print map of the parks showing caches and cache name?

nothing fancy just basic map showing cache general cache location.

any help would be great ,,, leaving for trip soon and not sure i will get the gps loaded up

note: i have garmin mapsoure for city select

also have garmin topo for national parks not loaded yet ..

ok, thanks

Do a filter with a Teton National Park cache as the center point. Do it for a distance out far enough to catch the caches in the area.

Load those into the GPSr.

Then change the center point to a cache in the Yellowstone area. Filter for a distance around that cache that will get most of the caches. Load those into the GPSr.

If you are caching Paperless, Export the data for each set into the correct format for your PDA at the same time, or Export all the caches for the area into the PDA, since it can hold more data than the Quest.

...what is a good technique  to easily narrow down the number of caches to just those in the parks??    hoping to display on map and then choose points ?? or some other way or use some other program ??

I would suggest downloading GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), a free 3rd party waypoint management program. You can perform all sorts of filters to narrow your caches down to just what you describe.

Next, I would suggest downloading USAPhotoMaps, another 3rd party program that will allow you to upload your waypoints, and tracks, over TerraServer.com aerial photos, or maybe better for your Yellowstone trip, USGS 1:24000 topo mapping.

You can save a screen shot .jpg to print to carry in the field. Both programs are great geocaching tools that I use every day!

Enjoy Wyoming! I lived in Casper for many years and often spent time in the Tetons and Yellowstone at all times of year.

...what is a good technique  to easily narrow down the number of caches to just those in the parks??    hoping to display on map and then choose points ?? or some other way or use some other program ??

I would suggest downloading GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), a free 3rd party waypoint management program. You can perform all sorts of filters to narrow your caches down to just what you describe.

Next, I would suggest downloading USAPhotoMaps, another 3rd party program that will allow you to upload your waypoints, and tracks, over TerraServer.com aerial photos, or maybe better for your Yellowstone trip, USGS 1:24000 topo mapping.

You can save a screen shot .jpg to print to carry in the field. Both programs are great geocaching tools that I use every day!

Enjoy Wyoming! I lived in Casper for many years and often spent time in the Tetons and Yellowstone at all times of year.

thanks for reply,,

i have downloaded gsak,,, but did not see how to filter on say yellowstone park ??

Next, I would suggest downloading USAPhotoMaps, another 3rd party program that will allow you to upload your waypoints, and tracks, over TerraServer.com aerial photos, or maybe better for your Yellowstone trip, USGS 1:24000 topo mapping

so can i get the topo mapping on usaphotomaps ?

ok, thanks, again

If you are caching Paperless, Export the data for each set into the correct format for your PDA at the same time, or Export all the caches for the area into the PDA, since it can hold more data than the Quest.

so what would be a good program for paperless on say a laptop ? maybe pocket pc ?

thanks

For Paperless caching, I recommend an inexpensive Palm like my Palm M500. You should be able to get one for around $40.00. The best program, IMHO, is Cachemate which is a mere $8.00.

Pocket PCs cost more money and you don't need a more expensive item to possibly lose or break when you are out in the woods.

In the "Filter" dialogue box for GSAK, you can use the dropdown selector to filter by distances. There is also a tab where you can even filter by direction.

So if you have all the caches for West Yellowstone in your Pocket Query, you could filter those based on a Center Point in town, but only get the caches to the northeast, east, and southeast.

If you have a laptop, you can download lots of PQs along the route you are traveling then you can put new waypoints from GSAK in the Quest as you travel.

i have downloaded gsak,,, but did not see how to filter on say yellowstone park ??

If the caches you are after have the phrase "yellowstone" in the cache somewhere you can use the "full text search" to find them.

For a more full proof method (though a little harder) you could set a polygon filter. Of course you would need the cocordinates that cover the polygon of yellowstone park (perhaps someone already has these)

we are leaving on trip in a few days,,, plus working so ,,,

really just need to go with what i can work with on printing up,,,,

wife likes to have print out to mark up while searching on trail,,, so for this trip ,,,

looks like printing for this trip...

thanks

Do a Forum Search about printing cache info. I'm sorry I can't help you there, but I've seen people talk about getting info for several caches on just one sheet of paper.

If you take the laptop with you, you will have the cache page and the hint on the laptop when you click on the cache name in GSAK. Maybe that and a little notebook will be all you need.

Have fun . . . you are headed to some very beautiful country. :D

so with GSAK,,, is there way to print details of each cache ,,, all in one batch,,

so if 100 caches in GSAK ,, one print job to print all info on each cache,,, hopefull in a condensed format ??

Strange - you just about answered your own question :D

File=>Print then select the "condensed HTML option"

You may also like to take a look at the "Grid view" format for even less paper.

Edited by ClydeE