I'm New And Need Help

snakeboy_48

That's like asking "what cars are good for driving." It really depends on what you want, and what (if anything) besides geocaching you will use the unit for.

You need to identify the features that will be important to you, and go shopping (on line). I would recommend, at a minimum, that a geocaching unit should have:

• A computer interface, including USB cable
  • WAAS support
  • at least a rudimentary map display
  • powered by AA batteries (use rechargeables)
  • highly water-resistant and rugged construction

What you do not need (in my opinion, is:

• A built-in magnetic compass
  • color graphics
  • Fancy maps (others will disagree on this point)

Welcome! If you are new, checking out the FAQs listed up at the top of the getting started forum here can be really helpful.

In the FAQs, you will find a link (also provided here) to gpsinformation.net that has so much more information than we could type in a day that will most likely answer all your questions. So much to offer, one click away! :huh:

For an extra $50 definitely get the Kegend, I use one and instead of looking at navigation page, arrow and distance, you can get a map and look at your movement as it relates to lakes, roads, trails, etc. Plus you don't have to dig out your paper maps and try to figure out where you are on that, etc. Much, much more enjoyable caching with the Legend. I'd spend the extra $$$ every time.