Gps Unit Choices

hi. We are fairly new to geocaching and have been caching with another family using their garmin. we want to get a unit but the choices are many. want to be able to justify the cost by getting one that will also give road directions and maps. looking at the vista C by garmin and the magellan explorist 500 and 600. cant see much difference in the 2 magellans so thought I would ask you all. so tell me what you think. just get the cheaper models, magellan vs garmin? going to yellowstone, tetons and colorado on the 27th and want to do some geocaching with our new unit. thanks for the help, nan

If you have used the Garmin in the past, then I'd go with that route since you are already familiar with the operation. Even if you don't get the same model the system will be similar. There are not many differences between the explorist 500 and 600, I know the 600 has a barometric pressure altimeter, barometer, thermometer, and a 3-axis electronic compass which I don't think the 500 has.

Not to try and sway your decision, but if you go with a premium unit such as the Garmin GPSmap60c or something similar, you can use it for a lot more than Geocaching. I bought a Garmin eMap a few years ago thinking that I might use it for hiking and fishing. I since upgraded to a 60cs, City Select software, and Topo software. Now I use it for ALL my trips. If I need directions to someplace, I get out my 60cs. I plug in the destination, and it takes me there. For road trips I haven't looked at a paper map in years. My point is that your GPS is more useful than you may realize.

The Xplorist 500 and 600 may offer similar feature to a 60c or 60cs, but I am not a Magellan user. Plenty of people on this board do use Maggies, and they can chime in on those units.

I recently got the Garmin Vista C. I got it because of the size and the price, although the memory and the 500 waypoint limit could be a problem if you cover more area.

My friend has the 60 CS. We cache with one navigating by road, giving us turn-by-turn instructions with the other one showing us the arrow and distance to the cache.

The 60CS is a very nice unit. The City Select software can be purchased in a package deal with the beanbag automount and cigarette lighter adapter for around $140.00 if you shop around.

Thanks for the input. I think you are right, I want to use the technology for more than geocaching. For the money I want to get directions , etc. Looking at the Garmin 60CS and the Maggie (I like that!) 600. thanks, nan

60CS is a fantastic unit. So is the Vista C. The Vista C will give you better reception under trees, while the 60CS will give you more memory for maps.