Editing Logs

I notice on the email that I received when someone logged my first WayMac that there is a note saying "The owner of this log will have one hour from the time of the initial posting to edit this log. After this hour has expired, the posted log will no longer be editable." I am all in favor of limiting the time and then having logs cast in stone but is one hour long enough? I know I often say things that I think about later and wish I had elaborated on (or said less). A one hour limit on forum posts is probably too much. A one hour limit on logs (cache or waymark) is probably too little, IMHO.

I would suggest a 24 hour limit on logs and a ten minute limit on forum posts if I were in charge so now you know why you don't EVER want to put me in charge of ANYTHING. :rolleyes:

I like WayMacs too.  I may have to introduce it in my category.
Once again the little kid throws a banana peel in front of the long march of progress. :rolleyes:

But back to the topic, no comments on the time limit for editing? I was not aware that there was any limit on GC until just the other day when I finally saw that I had a message from one of TPTB had asked me to edit a message I had left in a forum. I replied that I would immediately edit the posting but when I went to click edit - no edit button. Spent some time looking for edit buttons and doing test messages and discovered there is a time limit. Still don't know exactly what it is (I know, there's probably a FAQ in plain sight.)

When I saw the note in the email I thought 1 hour was way too short. I would not normally get the email in an hour so, in that case, I don't care that the logger can no longer edit the log. As a logger I would want more than an hour for such a special posting. Forum postings go much quicker. Last Tuesday it was moving so fast here that I had trouble keeping up. Allowing editing back even 10 minutes could have caused chaos if people decided they wanted to start changing their opinions based on what somone else said.

I have no idea how you implement the time limit for deciding whether to include an edit button on each message on a page. But I would assume that it is not hard coded into each page creation module. I would assume there is a call to a routine/object that contains the check logic. Does a variable for the time length get passed?

Given that there is or should be different times passed for each page creation, can we discuss what those times should be? I wouldn't have spent this much time on this message if I didn't think 1 hour was WAY too short for logs and WAY too long for forums.

OR--- Could you forget times and look at the next posting? If no one else has posted to the topic (log or thread) allow editing of the last message. Now all you have to do is create the page and then go back to the last message added and add an edit button. (Personally I like the time limit.)