Explorist 600 Geocache Folder

SwissTeam

All of my POI are stored in the default POI Folder in Internal Memory. Now, I tried to store some of them in the Geocache folder, but when I go to the Active Setup and under Geocaches search for these new entries, I only see the folders but not the caches themself, it shows it as empty, when I try to delete the folder, it tells me, that the folder can not be deleted, because it is NOT empy?!? Go figure ... So, what's going on here, or what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

P.S. I do not have more than a total of 20 caches in all of my GPSr databases.

POIs and geocaches have different extensions to the files, so if it's saved as a POI, it won't show in the geocache folder. If you have GSAK, you can save your waypoints in either format, then just drag them to the appropriate folder. They should show without a problem.

HTH,

sarhound

regular poi's and geocache poi's have different extensions, so if you tell the gps to look for geocaches, it wil only see geocache poi's. it doesn;t matter where they are stored, you can always browse to another folder. The geocache folder is just where it starts looking. Same thing with regular poi's, it will not see geocache poi's, and defaults to the my poi's folder

POIs and geocaches have different extensions to the files, so if it's saved as a POI, it won't show in the geocache folder. If you have GSAK, you can save your waypoints in either format, then just drag them to the appropriate folder. They should show without a problem.

HTH,

sarhound

Thank you sarhound. I always enter my caches manually, therefore I can't use the Geocaching Folder ... bummer.

Why do you enter your caches manually?

Just wondering

Convenience. The whole process from loading each cache onto the PC, convert them and then to upload them to the GPSr takes me longer then to do it manually, plus the coords are often not the ones of the cache's position, but rather of the parking spot and the actual cache position is somewhere disclosed in the cache description. If I want to have a fast upload, I would have to take the SD card out and put it into the card reader, which means, the battery has to be taken out as well, and the GPSr looses its compass calibration, so as I said ... pure convenience.

I've never had a need to remove the SD card from my 500. I just plug in the USB and run with it; only has taken 10 or 15 seconds to push my waypoints over.

Now moving maps may be a horse of a different color-- then the card reader may be the easier route. I'll find out as soon as I get some custom maps made.

Why do you enter your caches manually?

Just wondering

Convenience. The whole process from loading each cache onto the PC, convert them and then to upload them to the GPSr takes me longer then to do it manually, plus the coords are often not the ones of the cache's position, but rather of the parking spot and the actual cache position is somewhere disclosed in the cache description. If I want to have a fast upload, I would have to take the SD card out and put it into the card reader, which means, the battery has to be taken out as well, and the GPSr looses its compass calibration, so as I said ... pure convenience.

I find it only takes me a few minutes to load a pocket quarie right to my explorist 500, You do not have to take the card out, just leave it in the GPS. WIth the USB cable that came with the GPS, you are not really saving any real time by loading into a card reader. OF course with a PQ I am loading at leas 100 caches at a time.

Edit to add: I loaded most all of california onto my SD card while it was in my explorist 500, it only took a few minutes to load. I really see no reason to take the SD card out, unless you have filled the card up and need to load a second card.

Edited by JohnnyVegas
500 vs 600. is there $50 difference between the 500 and 600? almost ready to buy. weldome any input. This info is really interesting and has helped me decide what features are vital and which are not. thanks, nan

It's a personal decision. I bought a Meridian Platinum over a Gold for $25 difference because of the compass, and felt it to be worth it. When it came to the $50 difference on the explorists, I chose the 500. I sometimes miss the compass, but not $50 worth.

I also take a little solace in the fewer problems reported with the 500 compared to the 600 at this point in time.