Gc Logo Use

twjolson & Kay

I am attempting to make the most difficult cache in my area, maybe the whole province. And I want to make a nice little keepsake for those that actually find the cache. I was thinking of using a wood nickel (since coins are too fricking expensive!) with a couple lines of text and the GC logo, or a modified one that's in the outline of the province of alberta. I would like permission to have these made, if Jeremy will give it. The coins would not be for profit, only as keepsakes, and only a couple dozen would be made.

If permission can't be granted outright, is there a compromise that can be reached?

Have you looked at the Geocaching Logo Usage and Trademark Information page, linked to from the bottom of every page on geocaching.com?

It pretty much grants you permission for what you want, with a few limitations:

- You must "portray Geocaching and Groundspeak in a positive light."

- "the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way."

- "If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@Groundspeak.com."

I would suggest reading that page very carefully. The legalese really isn't that bad.

Edit to add I am not a lawyer, but I slept with one a few times ;)

Edited by Lil Devil
Have you looked at the Geocaching Logo Usage and Trademark Information page, linked to from the bottom of every page on geocaching.com?

It pretty much grants you permission for what you want, with a few limitations:

- You must "portray Geocaching and Groundspeak in a positive light."

- "the Groundspeak Geocaching logos may not be modified in any way."

- "If the lifetime use of the design is less than 25 units, you may consider permission automatically granted. These items may not, under any circumstance, be sold. For larger numbers of items, please request permission by sending an email to logo@Groundspeak.com."

I would suggest reading that page very carefully. The legalese really isn't that bad.

Edit to add I am not a lawyer, but I slept with one a few times :lol:

Those rules should be followed and everything should be fine.

I'd love to do this cache someday.

I am attempting to make the most difficult cache in my area, maybe the whole province. And I want to make a nice little keepsake for those that actually find the cache. I was thinking of using a wood nickel (since coins are too fricking expensive!) with a couple lines of text and the GC logo, or a modified one that's in the outline of the province of alberta. I would like permission to have these made, if Jeremy will give it. The coins would not be for profit, only as keepsakes, and only a couple dozen would be made.

If permission can't be granted outright, is there a compromise that can be reached?

Modifying the logo will likely be problematic. That is an issue under intellectual property law. But using it for personal purposes without altering it, that should be cool.