Garmin Gpsmap60c

Shrek & Princess Fiona

Hi there,

As a new owner of a Garmin GPSmap60C, I have hammered away getting heaps of use in last week. But I have a couple of questions.

a) Can you plot waypoint on unit away from current reference point?

I know how to download waypoints from the computer, but when I have tried to move cursor to the reference point onscreen, and hit "mark" it marks obviously the location where i currently am.

:rolleyes: When selecting auto-routing options, what is the difference between FASTEST TIME and SHORTEST DISTANCE? To me, they mean the same thing, or am I looking at it from the wrong way?

And it humbles me to ask, but does TB in notes from Cache visits refer ONLY to Travel Bugs or can it mean something else?. I have learnt what TNLNSL means, but was does GZ mean? I have some ideas but want to be sure before I post logs to visits I make.

Thanks, Shrek.

Okay, I take a stab at this, but its early for me. :o

Doesn't the GPS Map60CS have a button that says "Mark?"

That will mark your current location, then you just use the four-way button to change the numbers.

I think fastest time would route you to a freeway. Shortest distance might take you through the surface streets at 25 mph. :lol:

TB does refer to a Travel Bug, and GZ is "Ground Zero," the place one expects the cache to be located. :rolleyes:

As a new owner of a Garmin GPSmap60C, I have hammered away getting heaps of use in last week.  But I have a couple of questions.

a)  Can you plot waypoint on unit away from current reference point?

I know how to download waypoints from the computer, but when I have tried to move cursor to the reference point onscreen, and hit "mark" it marks obviously the location where i currently am.

I think it's counter-intuitive but I think you hit enter after moving the cursor. That should give you what you want.

:rolleyes:  When selecting auto-routing options, what is the difference between FASTEST TIME and SHORTEST DISTANCE?  To me, they mean the same thing, or am I looking at it from the wrong way?

Yes, sometimes the shortest way is not the fastest. (On long trips, going an extra mile out of your way on an expressway can be timewise faster than taking a shorter road with traffic lights.

And it humbles me to ask, but does TB in notes from Cache visits refer ONLY to Travel Bugs or can it mean something else?.    I have learnt what TNLNSL means, but was does GZ mean?  I have some ideas but want to be sure before I post logs to visits I make.

TB can be geocoins and any other 'traveller'. I'm not sure what gz means but I'm guessing ground zero.

When selecting auto-routing options, what is the difference between FASTEST TIME and SHORTEST DISTANCE? To me, they mean the same thing, or am I looking at it from the wrong way?

Fastest time will try to direct you to a highway or major road if there is one along the way. Shortest distance will do just that, take you the shortest route no matter what. Right through a residential neighborhood with 15 mph signs if there is one in between.

On my Map76CS, which should be about the same as your 60CS, you just use the four way rocker to move the cursor over the top of a waypoint on your screen. When you are right on top of it, the pointer will change/look different.

If you hit enter, a screen of data about that waypoint opens up and one of your choices is to navigate to the waypoint.