Which Unit Is Better Of A Beginner

PACDADDY

Even as a beginner, I wouldn't get a GPSr that didn't connect to a computer.

I'm not familiar with either of these units, but I would get one that comes with the computer cable (as opposed to one that doesn't connect at all, or doesn't come with the cable that has to be purchased separately.)

The Garmin eTrex Legend is a good beginner's unit, but some people highly recommend the Lowrance. I just don't know which model.

Edit to add more into

Edited by idiosyncratic

The original iFinder is a much more versatile unit than the iFinderGo. Provided you can verify that the used iFinder is operating correctly I'd be inclined to go with that one since it has a full computer interface (the Go only has NMEA output) and can also be enhanced in the future with detailed topo and/or street maps. Note that it is not waterproof, so use the included pouch whenever the unit might otherwise get wet.

Take my advice and dont get the Legend. They are known for (and Im using one right now that is..) falling apart after about a year or so (like what falls apart? the common things seem to be: rubber grip, click stick, screen, battery cover, and battery terminals). They also have a really crappy antenna that pulls a mister magoo in the trees. Its just not dependable enough...

The lowrance GPS's are very good. I have the ifinder basic in particular and it works far better than my other GPS's in terms of reception and linear operation. These lowrance units have a really strong antenna (above average for consumer GPS's) and are built really well with memory card storage, mapping, WAAS, 10,000 pt track log, and 1000 waypoints for $120. Killer deal if you ask me.

Now the ifinder gos are great too if youre starting (or as an alternate GPS). Sure they lack the computer connection, but entering them by hand isnt that bad if you only do a couple caches a week. For the price, they are easily the best receiver out there right now!

Edited by Tahoe Skier5000
Take my advice and dont get the Legend. They are known for (and Im using one right now that is..) falling apart after about a year or so (like what falls apart? the common things seem to be: rubber grip, click stick, screen, battery cover, and battery terminals). They also have a really crappy antenna that pulls a mister magoo in the trees. Its just not dependable enough...

Sorry gotta disagree. My four year old Vista and 2 1/2 year Legend answers that one.

Edited by BlueDeuce
. . . Now the ifinder gos are great too if youre starting (or as an alternate GPS). Sure they lack the computer connection, but entering them by hand isnt that bad if you only do a couple caches a week. For the price, they are easily the best receiver out there right now!

. . . only a couple of caches a week . . . :) Yikes!

As for entering coordinates by hand, the first time you make a mistake that puts you off the mark by 600 feet, or 6000 feet, or more, you are going to wish you could have downloaded the coordinates directly from this site.

Using Pocket Queries and then GSAK, I can put the coordinates for 400 caches into my GPSr in less than a minute.