Usb Cable With Either The Geko / Etrex?

As you may know from previous thread I need to buy a second, cheap GPS for when Hubby is away. Have narrowed this down to a Yello Etrex or a Geko 201. However as I don't want to have to buy additional cables - we already have a Garmin Map 60, which downloads from the PC by USB - I need to know whether either the Etrex or Geko 201 can also connect via a USB cable. Reading specs I think the Geko does, but the Etrex doesn't, but just want to be sure.

Ta

Edited by Andys101 & Miss Redfrock

As far as I know, the etrex can only be connected to serial (rs 232), so if you don't have a serial / com port, you'll need to get a usb-serial coneector, (or fit a serial card to your pc)

NB: for the non-technical: serial, rs232 and com port are all the same, if there's a 9 pin connector on the back of your pc, that's the serial port.

As far as I'm aware the yellow etrex doesn't come with any cables, so you'll have to buy one anyway. The usb-serial adapter works fine the the etrex/emap. Just make sure that if you're buying a new one that it's the WAAS version and not the older one so you can get the most up to date patches from GARMIN.

We bought an Etrex (yellow) to USB cable (with a built in serial adapter) from gpsw.co.uk a few months ago but some reason they don't seem to do them anymore? There's an alternative cable here though.

Ouch that cable is nearly £40! Maybe I should have bought a more expensive GPS! At least our GPS map60 came with a USB cable as part of the package. Thanks for the link though!

Edited by Andys101 & Miss Redfrock

The basic Etrex yellow is very limited with wayoints/routes.

I use a Geko 201, my Daughter has an etrex Legend. The Legend came with a serial lead which works with the Geko too. About £8 on ebay for the cable.

The geko 201 in my experience is more accurate than the legend.

I would pit my Geko against an Etrex anytime.

The only downside to the Geko is AAA batteries, and battery life.

the best AAA rechargeable batteries i can get are 900ma

The AA rechargeable batteries are cheap at 2000ma

The batteries in my daughters legend last twice as long as my Geko 201.

Even considering this, i still prefer the Geko. I am buying a Geko 301 soon.

I hope this helps.

http://www.garmin.com

has a comparison page where you can select products to compare specifications.

I hope this helps.

Don

Edited by dpoet

Just to let you all know that I have found a fantastic chap who does all the cables for Garmin GPS' and some others. Dead reasonable and also he was soooooo helpful, even when it wasn't certain that I would be buying anything.

His ebay ID is vaerlosen but he also has a website: http://gpsbitz.co.uk/gpsbitz_store/

and he's called Colin.

PS I have no affiliations to this site as you probably realised anyway by all my requests for help!!!