Meridian Gold And Maps

I have placed 2 map regions on my SD card. They both work in the unit, but I have to manually switch between the 2 when I enter the other region on the unit. Is it possible for the unit to switch to the regions by itself with no intervention on my part or is manual change of maps the only way?

Not sure what's going on. I've got a Meridian yellow which is the LOWEST end of all the Meridians. They don't even make my model any more.

I've got a 64 meg SD card in it with 4 regions of maps which take up the whole card. Topo 4.20. When I leave a region I automatically go into the next. Florida, Georgia, S. Carolind, N.Carolina and part od VA. Drove from Atlanta, where I live, to Tampa, Fl. and went from one region to the next. I also loaded the maps to my card reader and then put the card in my GPSr. Don't know if that nade a difference.

-Jeff

the problem is the topo 4.20 makes you only do a max of 4 regions...... basicly when this uploads to a Sd card reader or the unit it is converted into one big map containing all 4 regions.

when people talk about loading new regions manually they have saved more than one 4 region map to there SD card. the problem with the topo 4.20 is it want to save the 4region file the same name every time, so when you try to make a new one it just replaces the old file on your card. so you have to save it and change the names of files on card or save to hard drive and change name before putting files on card.

you can fit quite a bit of info on a 64-128 card.

i have 4 files on my SD card, the first map file has my whole state(WI) and some of nearby states. if i get to far out of my area i would have to load a differant detail map. not to much of a problem.

also note that topo 4.20 is pretty outdated and i have heard that the newer topo 3D has a max region size of 240mb... which would fix any map changing issues because you map area would be much larger.

Edited by hogrod

I have tried all the suggestions I have found on the forum. I am able to put many seperate regions on the SD card using a USB card reader/writer. When in the unit all the regions work but as I said I must switch them manually when going into a new region instead of the unit switching automatically to that region. I don't mind switching manually but sure wish it would do so itself. As to why a Meridian Yellow would do so and my Gold unit will not is curious, maybe I need to set something in setup or other part of the menu? I am currently using firmware version 4.06 which I have found to be the stablest, I have tried 5.40 but there seems to be some bugs in it and have gone back to 4.06.

For the newer Mapsend programs like DirectRoute and Top03D, it's 1 region per file, so the distiinction is moot. But for Topo 4.20D (and older versions, too), it is possible to create a file that contains up to 4 regions of up to 16MB each, for a total file of up to 64MB.

So if you are creating a single region and compiling it into a single detail map file, you will have to switch manually. If you have 4 regions defined and checked as active when you compile the detail map file, your GPSr will move between the regions in that file automatically--so long as that file is loaded into active memory on the GPSr. It sounds like you have created map files that contain a single region each.

The distinction between regions and files is a bit confusing.

For the newer Mapsend programs like DirectRoute and Top03D, it's 1 region per file, so the distiinction is moot. But for Topo 4.20D (and older versions, too), it is possible to create a file that contains up to 4 regions of up to 16MB each, for a total file of up to 64MB.

So if you are creating a single region and compiling it into a single detail map file, you will have to switch manually. If you have 4 regions defined and checked as active when you compile the detail map file, your GPSr will move between the regions in that file automatically--so long as that file is loaded into active memory on the GPSr. It sounds like you have created map files that contain a single region each.

The distinction between regions and files is a bit confusing.

That may be the answer because I save each region (file) to the SD card seperately. I will give that a try and see if it works. Thanks