Newbie Tb Question

Mr and Mrs T

No. Travel bugs are not trade items.

Edited to add:

This note accompanies each of my bugs and is on thier webpage:

Travel bugs are not trade items, you don’t have to leave anything if you take me.

Please don’t put me in a travel bug "hotel," "depot" or "resort" that requires you leave a bug if you take a bug. Sometimes they're more prisons than a hotels -- I might have to stay there a long time until someone rescues me.

Edited by Thot

No. You certainly may if you wish, but TB's are a seperate entity and simply have a mission to move on to their goal. I have TB's and a TB cache and I specifically state on both the TB's and the cache trading is not needed nor meant to be part of travel bugs.

Perhaps you've heard of TB hotels. Many of these (not mine) require you to trade one TB for another. This slows the TB's progress as well as assumes the cache owners ownership of the TB's. Not good policy.

Thus if you can help a TB along it's way, feel free to do so.

:D Thats kinda what I thought, just wanted to make sure. How long is too long to hold onto a TB? We are planning a trip to Hawaii and we wanted to take a bug or two with us. Thought I'd go grab a couple a week or so before the trip.

As far as I know there's no rule on how long before placing one. I'd suggest a maximum of a month, less if practical.

:D Thats kinda what I thought, just wanted to make sure. How long is too long to hold onto a TB? We are planning a trip to Hawaii and we wanted to take a bug or two with us. Thought I'd go grab a couple a week or so before the trip.

I think you get an asterisk (or something) next to any TB in your inventory after you have had it for longer than two weeks.

If you are planning a trip and are holding it for a while, you could email the TB owner as a courtesy. so they don't get worried about the TB's status.

In October I found a TB that wanted to go where I was going last Xmas. I e-mailed the owner and told him I was going to hold it and the reason. He was fine with it. As long as you let the owner know, most will be fine.

Edited by Wacka
Ok we are new to geocaching so try not to laugh at my question.... If you take only a TB from a cache do you still leave a trade item? I mean you are not really trading anything, right? I just didn't know what was proper geo-etiquette in this case. :D

You don't have to, but it's nice to. I think the other side of the coin is more important, though -- if you leave a TB in a cache, it's really not quite right to take an item in exchange for it. Unfortunately, many people do this, and then if the next person takes the TB without leaving anything for it, the cache has less swag in it than it did before. Because of that, I prefer to leave stuff in exchange for TBs, to make sure the cache isn't suffering from poor TB-related trades.

However, if you don't have any swag or something, and you see a TB that you can move, I say move it and don't worry about a trade. Nobody wants their TB sitting around twiddling its figurative thumbs longer than necessary.