Low Quality Gps Makes For Bad Coordinances

][

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has some tips on calculating the longitude and latitude of my cache in other ways because I currently have a low end model (Explorist 200 from Magellan) that gets pretty bad signals. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

I use an eTrex Legend, and I am not familiar with the Magellan explorist 200---but looking at the stats on the unit you are using, it looks like it should be plenty of GPS to do the job. What kinds of problems are you having when you say that it "gets pretty bad signals"?

If signals are your problem, calculating Lat/Lon won't help you as much as using maps. Have you tried looking at the map links on the cache pages before you head out? Or copying and pasting the coords into google maps?

Its also possible that you need some tips for using your particular unit a different way when you are getting close to the cache. With my unit, it helps to walk quickly toward the direction the GPS is pointing, but the natural tendency is to slow down when you get close--which results in the GPS flip-flopping around. I usually stop at a distance to get a bearing and then head there quickly, then let the unit settle while I start looking for a liely spot. Usually I am right in the area I need to be, but if not I repeat the process a time or two.

Spikes007s Posted on Jul 26 2005, 11:49 PM

I was wondering if anyone has some tips on calculating the longitude and latitude of my cache in other ways

Certainly there is more than one possible interpretation of this statement. I took the "my" to mean the OP wants to place a Cache and needs good coords to publish on the Cache Page. I guess it will help if the OP comes back and clarifies.

Spikes007s Posted on Jul 26 2005, 11:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone has some tips on calculating the longitude and latitude of my cache in other ways

Certainly there is more than one possible interpretation of this statement. I took the "my" to mean the OP wants to place a Cache and needs good coords to publish on the Cache Page. I guess it will help if the OP comes back and clarifies.

Yes, that's what I meant. The area that I am placing it in has very bad signals and is under heavy tree cover.

Edited by Spikes007s

How far must you move away from the Cache area to find a spot open enough to get decent satellite reception. On a line precisely TRUE North or South would be ideal. Do you know how to determine TRUE North or South with your GPSr?.

My suggestion is going to be: Get the best coords you can nearby. Accurately measure the distance to the Cache (with a tape measure?) and calculate. Measuring on a line TRUE North or South will give you the easiest numbers to work with.

If you think you need help with this email or PM me.

I can tell you what data to collect, and then I could do the calculation for you.

A cheap GPS will generally provide as good coords as a $300 model. The eXplorists have a good reputation for reception. If you are having problems perhaps you have a defective unit.

Some ways to combat bad signals:

-Wait until winter

-If you can get a good signal nearby, go there. A good reading from 20 feet away is better than a bad one right at the cache

-Use an offset. Go to a spot where you can get good coords and provide directions from that spot. You can use a compass bearing as JV suggested (e.g. walk 50 paces at 220 degrees), or maybe letterbox-like clues.

-Let the GPS settle at the spot for a while. Hold it in the best position for good reception (flat for an eXplorist)

-Try another spot for your cache

If it is a problem because of the area you are in you might want to add a very good clue. If it is a matter of just moving to and open area that is not to far away you could just take a reading from that position and then add a compass heading to find the cache from that spot.

I'll ditto the good clue. Signals tend to bounce and mess up a GPS under tree cover. Average your location if that GPS has averaging and use a good clue. "Under a log" when you are in the forest isn't a good clue.

First, let me say that I also have an Explorist 200, and I haven't had accuracy problems, except under the same conditions where people with all makes and models seem to complain.

I too recently hid my first cache - in an area with lots of tree cover affecting GPS accuracy. I took several readings. I then went to a nearby open area (from which I could see the cache location) used a traditional compass to get a bearing on the cache - then chose the reading that matched that bearing. So far, nobody has complained that the coordinates are off.

Of course, it is possible that you could get multiple readings along the same bearing - then you would need to do a second bering ( triangulate) or possibly average the waypoints closest to the bearing. But remember, those searching for the cache wiil have receivers that are off too, and are used to hunting a bit - so at some point, efforts for ever-increasing accuracy won't really pay off.