Google Earth

GlobeGeorge

The Google Earth program, modeled on the program known as Keyhole (except the subscription fees have been repealed), allows one to create maps of anywhere in the world (use address, coordinates, or place name) for free. And these aren't cheap road maps. They are basically super-hi-def photos taken by remote-control sattelite. They accurately show terrain, buildings, and road/highway/place names in FULL COLOR. (Broadband only.) Just punch in the co-ords, and BAM! Instant maps! I tried it and it's really cool!

I have been using Keyhole since before Google bought them out and now that Google runs it, it has gotten even better. If you like Google Earth, I recommend buying it for the extra features that come along with it.

The main one I like is that I can connect my GPS to the program and move my waypoints into it and see where I just was.

Why buy plus?

In addition to the basic features, Google Earth Plus includes:

* GPS integration – read tracks and waypoints from your GPS.

* Higher resolution printing (greater than screen resolution).

* Customer support via email (not just web).

* Annotation – adds draw/sketch tools for richer annotations (can be shared as KML).

* Data importer – read address points from .csv files.

Hello,

Since using Google Earth doesn't really relate to "getting started" with Geocaching, I am closing this thread. There are lots of other discussions of Google Earth taking place in the Geocaching Topics, GPS Units and Software, and Geocaching.com Forums.