Editing Cache Names In Gsak

This must have been asked before but I can't see any reference to it.

Where a series of caches have the same words at the start of the cache name would be useful to be able to abbreviate these so that uploads to GPS and PDA running cachemate give an understandable name for the cache.

For example, I started on a series of caches (18 in total) which all had the same 4 words at the beginning. What I would like to be able to do is to search for these 4 words and replace with something else, so that the actual 'meat' of the cache name is visible on the PDA. I don't think that smart names meet my requirement, editing cache by cache is also a no, no

I can do a workaround by editing the gpx file, but that's a bit cumbersome as it involves loading the orginal gpx, sorting by cache name, identifying the problem names and then exiting GSAK and externally editing and re-importing.

Any ideas folks?

Bob

Uncle T K  Posted on Jul 23 2005, 04:58 AM

Hello Bob Smith

Open GSAK and then right click on the Cache that you want to Edit.

Sounds as cumbersome as his method. For 18 changes don't you think a global find and replace is a whole lot faster?

I asked Clyde (the programmer) specifically about this a while ago. You and Uncle T K are both correct. It is combersome and that is the only way to do it. The Local series here at the time had 38 caches so I know what a pain it can be.

Maybe you can bug him to get it added as a new feature...

The next version of GSAK will allow you to do this quite easily via the macro language.

However, for now the easiest way is:

1. Export the required caches to a GPX file

2. Open the GPX file in your favorite text editor

3. Do a global replace on the text in question

4. Save the GPX file

5. Load this GPX fle back into GSAK