How To Download Detailed Waypoint Info To Pc

Jenkins' Ear

I have successfully downloaded some waypoint info to my GPS, but I'm wondering how to get the complete set of detailed cache info downloaded in a presentable format - does such a facility exist?

I did see mention of the MobiPocket reader, but it looks like it pertains to PDAs only. I just want to get all the info down to a PC (I'm supposing I won't have net access where I'm going) without doing it page by page.

Is such a thing possible? And supported?

If you become a premium member you can do "Pocket Queries". These will have up to 500 caches for any given area. You can then load the 'query' into another program (we like GSAK) where you can read the individual cache pages, sort them by different means (distance, difficulty, terrain, etc.). And GSAK works on laptops as well when you plan on a road trip.

If you would like more info, just ask.

John

I'm not sure if this would work your liking, you could just make the pages available offline. If your using I.E. just right click on the page then favorites then click the box at the top Make available off line, just make a new folder to keep them in one place. But that would be page by page sorry.

Edited by Skyman

As mentioned about, become a Premium Member and use Pocket Queries and Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK).

GPX files (available through Pocket Queries up to 500 at a time) contain almost all of the information on the cache page. Although the number of logs are limited, the last four are the most relevant, and you can accumulate more logs over time using GSAK (i.e. GSAK updates, rather than replacing, new information on caches that already exist in it's database).

Just a reminder that GSAK does not show the cache page map or pictures on the cache page. It does have the ability to load the coordinates into most mapping applications.

One other thing is GSAK is free for a short time only then you get reminder screens out the ----. It has a 1 time cost of $30 or less (I'm getting old and can't remember the price.).

John

Just a reminder that GSAK does not show the cache page map or pictures on the cache page. It does have the ability to load the coordinates into most mapping applications.

One other thing is GSAK is free for a short time only then you get reminder screens out the ----. It has a 1 time cost of $30 or less (I'm getting old and can't remember the price.).

John

1. You raise a valid point if you're offline, but when online GSAK allows you to quickly check the actual cache page or a half dozen other mapping sites and aerial photos. As you said, even if you're offline, you can easily export waypoints in the GSAK database to a half dozen common mapping programs that you install on your PC.

2. GSAK is $20 to register, and worth 5 times as much!

Edited by Kai Team

Well, I know my face will red (with embarassment) after I get some responses to this, but how in the heck do you naviagte to the Pocket Query generation screen from the geocaching.com site? I found the correct URL by Googling, but I just don't see how to get there via the geocaching.com menus etc.