How Do You Log A Benchmark

RAIDER 1

You don't have to have a photo, but it's nice. Everyone enjoys looking at the photos. Also if you have any doubt about whether or not you found the mark, having photos can help us advise you.

If you have visited the marks, and have seen the stamping on the disk (if it is a disk), and verified that it matches the stamping described on the datasheet, then you can log a find.

Sometimes a mark isn't a disk, but is instead a landmark tank, tower, church steeple, or other object. Then you need to be sure that what you find is the original object and wasn't replaced since it was originally recorded. In that case, pay close attention to how the object was described and make sure that it matches what you found at the location.

Next, take a look at the description on the Geocaching.com page for the mark. Underneath the coordinates, you may see "Coordinates may not be exact. .... location is SCALED. " When the location coordinates are scaled, it means that someone estimated the position from a map. It is helpful if you record your GPS readings at the mark and add them as a waypoint in your log entry, since sometimes the scaled coordinates are off by several hundred feet and your GPS reading can improve the position of the mark.

If you see "... location is ADJUSTED", then don't bother with your GPS coordinates, since adjusted coordinates are accurate to within centimeters and are far more accurate than your GPS reading.

Finally, if you have an adventure when finding the mark, by all means describe it in your log entry, and post a note back here in this forum! In fact, since these are your first marks, post a note back here and let us know how you did anyway. We're all interested.

Good luck!

RAIDER 1 -

Be sure to read all of the Benchmark FAQ page before going out to find some benchmarks. ;)

On each benchmark's description page click on the "Log this benchmark" link above the map to log the benchmark.

If you have a digital camera, you should take at least 2 pictures of the mark.

1. A closeup picture so that the disk fills the screen. (With the writing not upside down :D )

2. A distance picture with the mark's location in it, and some scenery in the background, prefereably one of the items mentioned in the benchmark's "to-reach" description. Also, note in your log the compass direction that this picture is facing.

You may log without a picture, of course, but logs with pictures are much better logs.

As holograph pointed out, ADJUSTED versus SCALED is a very important difference when you go hunting. One way of looking at this difference is that for ADJUSTED marks, your GPS will take you within 15 feet of the mark and from there you must use the "to-reach" description. For SCALED marks, your GPS will take you to the approximate place to park your car, but after that, you must use the "to-reach" description to find the mark since its coordinates could be a couple hundred feet off. The ADJUSTED marks will be within an inch or so of the coordinates.

Of course, if you are just beginning, the ADJUSTED marks might be easier to find. Also, the more recently reported marks will be much easier than the old marks. Of course, we love to find the old ones!

It is also very helpful to note in your report any changes in the to-reach description, such as highway numbers that are changed, mentioned objects that are no longer there, if the mark has been buried by soil movement, and measurements from newer nearby objects that will help people find that benchmark in the future.

These can be considered optional for the GC logs. If you get into making reports to NGS (which many people do after cutting their teeth on GC logging) then these updates to the description, with coordinates when appropriate, are highly recommended.

Do I need to post a picture everytime I find a Benchmark? Obviously, if I am the first to find it, then yes, but what if I'm not?

Take a look at this example:

JX0182

Is my post acceptable or do I need to post a photo as well? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm really excited to post pictures for a few 'new' ones, especially one I think is still there even though it says destroyed. My wife is calling me a geek now... :anicute:

Being called a geek by the spouse is an important step in becoming a serious benchmarker. I generally post 2 photos when I'm the first log on a benchmark.

1) Disk only, a closeup of the disk with the marking clearly distinguished

2) Eye level of the disk and surrounding area, hopefully with nearby objects referenced in the to-reach description.

If I'm the second (or later) person to log a benchmark on Geocaching, I will add a photo if it adds information to the set of logs. If several people have taken photos of the disc, but not an eye-level shot to place the disk in the surroundings, I'll include it. And vice-versa. If something has changed in the nearby area, or something's happened to the disc/monument, I'll add a photo. Etc.

Your post for JX0182 is fine, as long as you meant that everything was the same from the last log. As Bill93 mentioned, if something had changed, such as "Fire Hall is now Joe's World of Sports", you should indicate it in the log.

Edited by BuckBrooke

Thanks. I think she has always known I am a geek. It's just now she has enough evidence to prove it. :anicute:

One more question. Well, probably not, but for the time being...

If a location is said to be destroyed and I go and look, finding out for myself that it is in fact destroyed, or missing, or whatever the last description says; how do I log that or do I even log it at all?

The reason I ask, is there are several around me that at one point were described as lost or destroyed, but were later found.

Any input?

Do I need to post a picture everytime I find a Benchmark? Obviously, if I am the first to find it, then yes, but what if I'm not?

JX0182

Is my post acceptable or do I need to post a photo as well? I just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm really excited to post pictures for a few 'new' ones, especially one I think is still there even though it says destroyed. My wife is calling me a geek now... :anicute:

Posting a photograph is highly encouraged but not absolutely necessary for logging a benchmark even if you are the first finder.

Congratulations on your finds! It looks like your area has a lot of PIDs that haven't been found recently.

And reported one as destroyed , took photographic proof of it not being there

Personally, I'm mixed on logging these marks (that look like they've been paved over) as NOT-FOUND vs. DESTROYED. I don't have the disk in hand, removed from the destroyed monument, and I haven't spoken with someone who witnessed the destruction. Personally I have some self-doubt, "Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, maybe it's under the dirt, maybe aliens are messing with me..." It's a toss-up for logging on Geocaching.

Edited by BuckBrooke
Do I need to post a picture everytime I find a Benchmark?  Obviously, if I am the first to find it, then yes, but what if I'm not? 

JX0182

Is my post acceptable or do I need to post a photo as well?  I just want to make sure I'm doing this right.  I'm really excited to post pictures for a few 'new' ones, especially one I think is still there even though it says destroyed.  My wife is calling me a geek now...  :rolleyes:

Did anyone notice the log by anaiselise? The last sentence... is great! But, been there done that also. It tends to make you a little nervous.

As to the 'geek'....I think the term is "addict".

Shirley~

Congratulations on your finds! It looks like your area has a lot of PIDs that haven't been found recently.

And reported one as destroyed , took photographic proof of it not being there

Personally, I'm mixed on logging these marks (that look like they've been paved over) as NOT-FOUND vs. DESTROYED. I don't have the disk in hand, removed from the destroyed monument, and I haven't spoken with someone who witnessed the destruction. Personally I have some self-doubt, "Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, maybe it's under the dirt, maybe aliens are messing with me..." It's a toss-up for logging on Geocaching.

The Benchmark I reported as destroyed is this oneclick here for the mark I think I was just really re-enforcing what was already known about it

Sometimes, surprisingly, the NGS will mark a station destroyed, even without disk in hand. Supporting evidence definitely is necessary. This one is quite obviously destroyed: KU1430 (Geocaching page). Supporting evidence: Ruppert Towers. Corroboration from another benchmark seeker definitely helps, I am sure. KU1430 (NGS page). (Yes, I know. GPS is unecessary in picture, even if it were in focus.)

This one KV0604, would be much harder to get marked destroyed, without corroboration and supporting evidence, even though the ramp to the elevated parkway, and the overhead parkway itself, were demolished fifteen years ago.