Need Some Suggestions Around The Great Lakes

myce

Hi fellow-cachers!

My wife and I will be visiting the Great Lakes region in September. I'd love to do some geocaching while there. Any suggestions about Must-see-caches?

Since my wife isn't that interested in caching, I won't be able to do as many as I'd like to, so maybe you could suggest the ones I shouldn't miss. (Ideally I can rouse her interest in caching, if they are really good...)

They should be interesting, but easily accessible (1 Star terrain). Nice scenery would be a big plus, as my wife is very interested in photography (landscapes and wildlife).

Thanks,

myce

Can you narrow down your route a little for us?

Sure. We'll start in Chicago, then we'll go up to Milwaukee, Madsion, Minneapolis, Split Rock Lighthouse, Upper Peninsula. Then somehow through Michigan (we haven't yet decided about the exact route) and back to Chicago.

myce

While in the UP (eh), if you happen to be passing thru Munising, many of the waterfalls have caches near them. I even have one, Olson Memorial Falls (GCK1PV) that has received some pretty good reviews. There are numerous others all with short walks with huge payoffs in regards to views. I would also highly recommend Paradise (GCKKG3) at sunset or sunrise.

Edited by CookCrew
Can you narrow down your route a little for us?

Sure. Upper Peninsula. Then somehow through Michigan (we haven't yet decided about the exact route) and back to Chicago.

myce

My wife and I spent a week last summer in the Upper Peninsula and had a great time. At the time I had a cast on one leg. Most of the caches up there are close to the road and there are not many micros which make for easy finds when you are traveling. We especially enjoyed any and all the caches that were at light houses.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll see where I can bend our route a little... :)

We especially enjoyed any and all the caches that were at light houses.

Ah, that'll help a lot. Lighthouses are one of her favourite motifs. Which would recommend?