Megellan Meridian Or Sportrak??

by the meridian.... have two and have used the sporteak map and would not reccomend buying the map over the meridian. the map only has 8mb of storage for detail maps(why did they call this the map!) and the meridian has a SD card slot(can use up to 2gb SD cards when using a card reader)

also it seems the meridain gets allot better reception. the map will sometimes loose signal in woods.

I have the sportrak map and meridian color. If I had to choose for just treking and hiking, alone, I'd take my Sportrak Map b/c of the slightly smaller footprint in my hand and the belt clip works well with my hikes. It doesn't seem to get in the way like the Meridian does.

That being said, I like the meridian b/c of the expandable memory. If you hike a lot, you can have SD cards of each spot you go to, which is nice, b/c you can really detail and mark each area. The Sportrak Map's memory fills quickly, especially if you are uploading maps, and the separate cards help to keep your hiking areas orgainzed.

Both have good and bad points, but I guess the Meridian may have the larger upside b/c of the storage capability. If I had to only have one for a multi-purpose tool, then the Meridian would win.

My .02 cents, worth about .005 after inflation! :D

Team Shing hit the main points: if size is a big issue, one might reasonably prefer the SporTrack. But for nearly all other aspects, the Meridian is the preferred model--chiefly because of the expandable memory capabilities. You can probably live with and grow with the Meridian for a longer time, while you may find that you outgrow the ST Map more quickly.

If you want small size *and* expandable memory, you may want to look at the Explorist 4/5/600 (but that will, of course, cost a little more).

BTW, I started with an eTrex, and soon upgraded to a Meridian. I quickly got used to the larger size of my Meridian, and I rarely thought about the form factor issue. However, I am much appreciating the smaller size of my Explorist now that I have one of those. I think you get used to whatever you have available unless it's something you feel strongly about.

You can check out the SporTrack Topo too. I don't know if you can buy them new, but I picked up a used one for my wife and kids. I also own a MeriPlat. I am very impressed with the SporTrack Topo!

* Large high-contrast LCD display

* 108 MB built-in, interactive, nationwide topographic maps

* 16 MB of memory for additional map downloads

* 9 navigation screens

* Accurate to 3 meters (via WAAS)

* Lightweight, rugged design

Sorry, forgot the link to Magellan site

Edited by PodunkPaul