Indiana Travel Bug Race Anyone?

S Keillan

I was wondering if there would be any interest in having something of a travel bug race across Indiana. My idea would be to have TBs make the trek from Steuben County in the northeast corner to Posey County in the southwest corner (or vice-versa), with the caveat that they must move only one county at a time. I would be willing to handle the race details if there is interest.

OK, we might have enough to at least begin planning such a race. I think maybe a fall start would be best, to give people a chance to sign up.

Concerning rules, I'm thinking that they should be similar to what the Cannonball Run races have, with maybe a modification or two based on the fact that we'll almost always be within a few hours drive of the TB's as opposed to the longer cross-country races. Obviously the race needs to be run fair and square. :D

Oh, I was just thinking that it should start not long after the Fall picnic. This would give people a chance to enter their travel bug while there. Since the picnic is in early September, I say that a launch point of either late September or early October would be best.

Hmm, new idea. How about if we make the IN Fall Picnic down near Madison the official gathering point for the race. Then we start off in a nearby cache and make the finish line up in Lake County, say around Gary or Hammond. This would work better for me as I live closer to Lake County than either Steuben or Posey Counties. Plus I'm planning to attend the picnic in a couple of months, so I can take bugs with me for those not attending. Any comments?

OK, there's been no activity on this thread for a couple of weeks, and in order to do this right, we'll probably need at least a few months preparation, something that I've been slacking on. I would still like to try this, but it might be best to wait until early 2006. This would give plenty of time to prepare, time for me to get an appropriate web site going, and everyone a chance to enter properly.

When things get set up, I'll likely start a new thread in the Travel Bug forum. In the meanwhile, I hope those interested will remain interested.