Mac Compatibility?

voltaire

Hi Folks

I did a search on this topic and found the last exchange to have taken place back in '03. Have there been any software developments since then to allow Mac users easier download/upload?

I think a little more specifics are needed; upload/download to/from what?

I have a mac and I'm doing just fine (see the sig).

Up to this point I've been using a Gecko, so pretty simple GPSing - meaning no maps. When I was investigating maps last year I discovered that Nat'l Geographic, for instance, is written almost entirely for PC. What's available for the Mac? On the hardware side, are there GPS devices with USB instead of serial? I truly am a novice at this so any guidance is appreciated much.

Mac GPS Pro is GPS desktop software and the site is pretty comprehensive as far as devices and Mac connectivity, Topo maps, other software etc.

If you go to any of the hardware pages (like the Gecko 301), they've got links to obtain Mac USB connectors or it's packaged for Mac USB (ie, Garmin GPSMAP 60CS).

If you're using a newer mac (OS X), USB is definitely the way - or Bluetooth; I didn't opt for the Bluetooth on my Mini because I already had a Bluetooth USB 'dongle' (yes, "dongle" - I'm old school okay?). Even Palm finally caught up with Mac hardware and uses a USB hotsync cable :unsure:

Your best bet if you want to use maps or programs like GSAK is to get either a cheap second-hand PC or VirtualPC. I have an old PC (P-II 333Mhz, dog slow but works for what I need it for). You can use programs like MacSimple GPS to transfer waypoints without a PC though.

On the hardware side, are there GPS devices with USB instead of serial?

Many of the newer Garmin units that support mapping (i.e. the 60C) do have a USB port, but Mac support is nearly non-existant, even with a USB- serial converter (~$30-$60). On my older Powerbook, I was able to transafer waypoints and routes using the Keyspan brand 19HS USB Serial converter and a round 4-pin Germin serial cable (I don't think any USB-enabled Garmin units ship with them but they can be found on Ebay for about $10). On my newer G5, I haven't been able to transfer anything using any software I can get my hands on (Virtual PC, MacSimpleGPS, etc), though I've spent hours trying endless configurations. As for using a Mac to transfer maps to a handheld Garmin unit, I don't think anybody has ever been successful.

If you're looking into Virtual PC (to run GSAK or Mapsource), my advice would be to save yourself the headaches and just get ahold of a cheap low-end PC computer. You can probably get one for just a little more than the price of a copy of VPC bundled with Windows.

There is some good Mac GPS software out there. One of the best is Mac GPS Pro, they even sell topo maps for use with thier software. Check out MacGPSpro.com

There is also some software out their for Garmin units with USB to allow exchange of waypoints.

For street level maps, Route 66 is availible. It isn't the best piece of software out their but it works. I used it on a roadtrip last year with a Deluo USB GPS reciever and it worked well. It does not exchange waypoints on a handhelp GPS unit though.

National Geographic has also ported over most of their TOPO! series to the Mac.

There is some good Mac GPS software out there.  One of the best is Mac GPS Pro, they even sell topo maps for use with thier software.  Check out MacGPSpro.com.

I just got an update from the maker of MacGPS Pro, which I have been using and loving for about a year now. I'm jumping all over this update!

Excerpt from the message I received:

Here's What's New:

Receiver Support

* USB Support for most USB-only Garmin Receivers such as the eTrex Vista C.

* USB Support for most Garmin Receivers such as the 60CS that have

both a USB Port and a Serial Port. Eliminate the cost and the

messiness of adapter cables by using USB.

* Serial Port Support updated for new Garmin Firmware Versions.

Ease of Use

* A new Toolbar and Tool menu speeds operations and makes MacGPS Pro

easier to use.

* Hand Tool and Live Scrolling ease moving around a map or chart.

* Expanded and revised Help menu.

* Help tags provide information when and where you need it.

New Features

* PVT Real-Time with Automatic Switching between PVT and NMEA. No

more trips to the Garmin Receiver's Interface Menu when changing

between Real-Time and Data Transfer operations.

* Errant Individual Track Log Points can easily be deleted.

* The Auto-Open Map function has been extended to work with the USGS

Alaska 1:63360 topo maps.

* View your current position on Google Maps.