I've Posted My First Hide!!!

BillsBayou

It had to be perfect. I'm a self-diagnosed OCD. I'm also a talkative SOB. I didn't want to just toss an ammo can in the brush, or a key hider magnet under a utility box, and leave it at that. I actually made my own camo device to hide it in plain sight (my favorite kind of evil caches).

So today, I finally made a hide. It'll make the locals think. It's a micro, but the fun is in the hunt. It's a puzzle cache multi-stage. You have to go to stage one to get the key to decrypt stage two.

Oh, and it's all about palindromes (just to be wierd).

I posted it 15 minutes ago. Why isn't it approved? (JUST KIDDING!!!)

Anyway. I'm at work and I'm excited that I finally got a cache posted. I'm here to just shout it out because if I shouted it out here, my boss would can my sorry butt.

:anitongue:

As much as we abuse the volunteers who manage this place, approval can take up to three weeks. (Or is that 'mangle this place'?)

My first cache has had four finds since last August. Hey, it's a great cache!

On the other fin, I'm almost as proud of my caches that have been found thirty or forty times. Almost.

Go for it, dude. And have fun!

Well, as long as Brigzzz asked, my cache was approved today.

"Pursuing Palindrome Parkway" GCPE9M

If self-promotion is a no-no here, just say so, and I'll pull all this out.

The cache was created as a "find" for a Locationless cache: "A Cache of Palindromes" by EraSeek. That cache got me to thinking that I should come up with a unique type of cache, and that's how I came up with my own. It also kicked me in the butt to get out there and start hiding.

The puzzle might be a brain strain or it might be a cake walk. You tell me which.

I also did an analysis of EraSeek's "A Cache of Palindromes" (GC202B) to see what it takes to satisfy the cache. That is: What is the domain and range of coordinates which satisfy the cache and how easy is it to find? It turns out that EraSeek's cache is easier for those of use in the lower Longitudes than those in the higher numbers (>99°). I published the analysis on my webpage: Bill's Bayou

The starting point for this cache is just down the road from my house.

This evening at work, I ran a program to generate the 245 valid keys and coords.

I drove by tonight and got the key.

Took the stage 2 coordinate from my list and did a projection using the page at http://williams.best.vwh.net/gccalc.htm

Final waypoint is in Mapopolis - and I'll head out there tomorrow morning - hopefully for a FTF!

Thanks for the interesting cache.

I wrote a little program to generate the 15-digit palindromes within 1 degree either side of 30/90 - and mapped them - of course there's a great one near the confluence in New Orleans East: 30:00.009 090.00.003

Amazing the way your first stage and second stage fell just pefect for a multi-cache.

I wrote a little program to generate the 15-digit palindromes within 1 degree either side of 30/90 - and mapped them - of course there's a great one near the confluence in New Orleans East: 30:00.009 090.00.003

Amazing the way your first stage and second stage fell just pefect for a multi-cache.

Cade, if you take a look at My Webpage on 15-Digit Palindromes, scroll down to the last map I post. That red point in the lower right is the same coordinate you mention. I haven't gotten out there to see if it's accessible. The 30/90 Entry at Degree Confluence Project, the Harbor P.D. has marked the area as "No Trespassing." Just the same, I'd like to see it.

Good luck finding the cache. Don't forget your key.