Race For Life

HazelS

I did the Race for life on Sunday, along with over 5,000 other women in Birkenhead Park.

Great - I hear you ask... what's it to do with Caching??

Phill asked me this on the way there......

"How on earth are you going to walk just over 3 miles without a GPS and clue in your hand??"

I would have laughed if I didn't agree that It's an obsession, not a hobby!

LOL!!

On a more political topic, I'm oposed the the race for life because it's sexist. Only women can race. Can you imagine the uproar if a national charitable organisation held a serious of races and declared them 'men only'?

I know a lot of men whove been affected by breat cancer, not directly obviously, but surely it's the loved ones who are keen to raise the money?

Don't take this the wrong way Hazel, good on ya. A mate of mine in the NE did one up there and I was happy to sponsor her.

I sincerely hope they raise bucket loads of cache, but why exclude the blokes?

I agree with you Rutson, and so does Phill...

His dad died of Cancer, and always supports cancer charities, he was going to don female attire and enter as a protest!!

Still... Phill did a great job of hanging onto all my belongings, getting me water at the end of it, and looking after my friend's 2 year old...

Who says men don't have their uses!?

I know a lot of men whove been affected by breast cancer, not directly obviously

Just for info, 0.7% of people with new diagnoses are male...about 300 a year.

I suppose it's a pragmatic whatever raises the most funds (which go into the overall Cancer Research UK pot) but I agree that it seems odd to exclude people

I stand corrected, 0.7% sounds low, but that's still 7 in every thousand. This is a real bee in my bonnet. I canot imagine how I would feel if I was one of those 300 men per year, a good percentage of which will recover (thanks to modern techniques and research), and was unable to raise money in this way.

Anyway, rant over, I've made my point! :lol:

well... you COULD have done it in drag like Phill wanted to!

Just been having a conversation with a colleague of mine... apparently it was done for women only because many, many Muslim women wanted to take part in such events, and couldn't because there were men taking part!

You learn something every day! - I don't care who does it, I raised £175 for a well deserving cause!

PLUS... it stopped me going out caching on an incredibly hot day!

On a more political topic, I'm oposed the the race for life because it's sexist. Only women can race.

Just flicking through and came across this thread - just incase you have a burning desire to do something for breast cancer, you could always partake in the annual moonwalk - in London May/June, as long as you are happy to wear a bra and walk 26 miles starting at midnight this race does accept men!!!! There must me loads of caches dotted round the route, so you could kill two birds with one stone - well as long as they are not the birds wearing bras!!!!

Just flicking through and came across this thread - just incase you have a burning desire to do something for breast cancer, you could always partake in the annual moonwalk - in London May/June, as long as you are happy to wear a bra and walk 26 miles starting at midnight this race does accept men!!!! There must me loads of caches dotted round the route, so you could kill two birds with one stone - well as long as they are not the birds wearing bras!!!!

How about an equivalent of the moonwalk to raise money for testicular cancer awareness ?

<insert your own joke here>

:lol:

Sara & I completed this years moonwalk and raised quite a bit... And before anyone asks-yes I did do it in a bra! All 26 miles....

A really good event that I would recomend to anyone.It was the best fun that I've had in a long while.I don't know why,but being one of only 1000 men in a crowd of 14000 women really makes you popular with the women-especially if you are wearing a fluffy pink bra with matching tiara..............

(didn't get to do any caches though!)