I Took My 9 Year Old Out Yesterday For The First

ScottFla

time, and she loved it. Well, the first one took us a while and I think she was starting to think this wasn't such a great idea (hot, stickers, hot, more stickers) but once we found it, her eyes lit up and she was hooked.

We didn't find the next one but she found the third cache of the day and she is definitely hooked. When we got home, she ransacked her room looking for things to put in a cache.

This morning, she asked if we were going geocaching when she got home from day camp. I guess we will be :lol:

Well, the first one took us a while and I think she was starting to think this wasn't such a great idea (hot, stickers, hot, more stickers) but once we found it, her eyes lit up and she was hooked.

Sometimes, a bit of a struggle to find the cache makes the victory sweeter. And sets the hook a little firmer :lol:

Geocaching is a great family activity. In addition to being fun in itself, it offers great opportunities to learn about nature, navigation, history, etc. Be sure and take along a field guide to the local flora and fauna, learn to spot animal tracks, and so on.

I took my sister and her family caching a year or so ago. The kids were hooked before the parents. This weekend we (me & the Mrs along with my sis and her family) took an out of town relative caching for the first time. The Dad loved playing with the GPS, the kids were hooked as soon as we found the cache, Mom was a good sport. I'm pretty sure the Dad will buy a GPS before they finish their grand tour of the western US and they will have a fair number of finds behind them by the time vacation is over.

My younger daughter (12.5) went along on a quick grab once. She didn't like the stealth aspect, being more the type who wants to go "SQUEEEEEE! I got it!" Luckily that time she resisted.

Her sister (13.5) who I thought would be too "cool" to go hunting, got her first find yesterday and enjoyed the hunt. Unfortunately a muggled cache, but she was the soul of discretion and now rates her very own username.

So welcome "Keladry" to the obsession!