Explorist Burn-in Problem

flir67

I had problems as other users have posted about the explorist screen popping up with the burn-in test. well this morning I figured part of it out not sure if I'm doing this out of just luck or bad luck u might say.

when you first turn the unit on and the next screen that says press the "enter button" to continue. well I hit "x" thinking that meant no, then hit "enter" button and by goosh the burn-in test screen popped up.

so I turned it off and tested it again. sure enought , if you accidentally hit "x",then "enter" when turning it on . the burn-in test screen on mine comes up..

anyone else can confirm this with there units.

is this a bug or did a access a secret menu item.

flir67-------------

I couldn't duplicate it as I understood you to describe it...i.e., power on, then when the prompt to push enter to continue comes up, pushing ESC and then enter. If I do that, I power on normally.

However, I see that pushing escape *while* pushing the power to turn the unit on is the service function key combination to bring up the burn-in screen...whose message is to press ENTER to start the process.

So it sounds to me like you have found a big clue to what's going on here. I'm still not certain; perhaps you can clarify my understanding of whether I duplicated in the first paragraph of this message as to what you actually did.

Ok, when from the off state I press power, then immediately press ESC before the screen has even lit up, I get the prompt to press Enter for the burnin. If I wait for the screen to light up before pressing ESC, things proceed normally without the burn-in screen.

It reminds me a little of booting up my computer...if I hit the delete key in the first few seconds of the boot-up, I can go to the BIOS settings, but if the window passes then delete functions normally.

yep. Power-on and hit the escape key when the Checking Media screen comes on takes you to the Burn in screen. What do all the letters mean

TFF

THF

RTC Real time clock?

BF What we got for buying a newly released unit?

HFF

FIX lock on the bird?

NFIX

SQS

Edited by mikeatnight

sorry to inform you that the only way i fix the problem is to change the unit at the store.

now i have an explorist 400 who works perfectly

is like a firmware problem (or hardware construction?), instead of doing the action when you push the button, he store the key and when you have the good sequence, he load the "hidden" menu. That's remember me an old version of windows 98 who froze all programs when you had a little bug

you have all the features at http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/sf.htm maybe it can be useful.

keep us inform of your story, it can help other owners

I think this is a little different from the problem you had, Charles. IIRC, your unit had the burn-in screen pop up after using it for awhile, and it locked the unit up requiring battery removal.

This instance seems to be an unintentional invocation of the burn-in screen due to a similarity between powering on the unit and using a power-up combination of keys intended for special purposes. The burn-in screen is still responsive to input, no freeze observed.

Glad your replacement 400 is behaving.

I was playing around with settings today. From waht I could see, a good "safety point" is when the backlight comes on. If you avoid pressing any other keys until then, I think you should be able to avoid this accidental invocation.

I keep my beeper on for keys (as well as alarms). The unit will also give an audible beep at about the time the light comes on if key beeps are enabled.