Idea For A Thread

kc2ixe

Here is an idea for a thread a bunch of us might find interesting......

How does one learn the art /science of Surveying

How does one become a surveyor (I know it's usually a degree)

If someone wanted to learn the basics (NOT for professional use) who would you do it?

Any good books?

I think that this would give us amateurs tromping around out there some insight into what is going on with the pros....

fyi

Surveying Degree

Program Objectives

Graduates of the B.S. in Surveying degree program at Michigan Technological University will:

(1) Demonstrate an understanding of basic mathematical, scientific, legal and measurement principles that form the theoretical framework of professional surveying practice.

(2) Successfully complete a broad array of general education courses needed to appreciate the diverse factors that impact the society at large, historically, now, and in the foreseeable future.

(3) Demonstrate an ability to select and properly use appropriate techniques and tools to collect, analyze and interpret data to obtain optimum surveying solutions for different situations.

(4) Demonstrate an ability to assess a survey situation, determine the opportunities and risks for clients and others in that situation, postulate an optimum solution for the situation, implement the proposed solution, and assess the impact of the solution after implementation.

(5) Successfully perform problem-solving activities as part of a team containing members with majors in other disciplines.

(6) Successfully complete coursework exposing them to the potential of conflicts between the best interests of clients, society, and professional service providers, as well as ethical precepts and legal obligations to avoid or resolve these potential conflicts.

(7) Demonstrate an ability to communicate orally, in writing, and with graphics.

(8) Communicate with and observe practicing surveyors in their professional activities.

(9) Successfully complete coursework on professional licensure requirements and the need for continuing education.

(10) Demonstrate an ability to perform activity number 3 plus any other three activities listed in the F.I.G. definition of Surveyor, as adopted by F.I.G at its General Assembly meeting of June 11, 1990. For a list of these activities see Appendix 1 of the FIG Statutes, Internal Rules and Guidelines.

Edited by Z15

kc2ixe,

I was lucky enough to be near a community college that offered evening and weekend surveying courses. The textbook was Surveying by Moffitt and Bossler. It was a bit pricey, and taking a course is a substantial committment of time and money just to learn more about a hobby (that's not why I took the course, but it has certainly helped with understanding the hobby).

There is also a cool paperback book called Introduction to Geodesy by James Smith (also a little pricey) that is an introduction to the type of work that is involved with the geodetic benchmarks that we use.

I work for a Military Defense Contractor. The Government Source Inspector (GSI) for this area is housed in our plant. He is a former surveyor. He and I are history buffs.

I have often joked with him that surveyors must have been drunk when they laid out some of the lines around here and the descriptions they used.

As you all may know, many of our founding Fathers were surveyors. Lately the GSI and I have been having contests to find historical facts like this:

(from the Bio of General 'Mad' Anthony Wayne): "Lacking in academic proficiency, he dropped out of school and became a surveyor."

(from the Bio of Captain Frye, founder of Fryeburg, Maine and hero of Frye Island fame): "After a survey team misdelineated half of their area in New Hampshire instead of Maine, Frye and Captain Peabody along with a pack mule full of rum, and a third companion, surveyed, defined and mapped out the townships of Fryeburg and Pondicherry (later Bridgton) in an astounding 7 days."

Anyone else come across great tid-bits like this?

I like my 1966 copy of Davis, Foote, and Kelly that I picked up at a used book sale. I have used it as bedtime reading off and on for years. It has some neat stuff in it besides a thorough coverage of Surveying topics, including pictures of US CGS survey parties.

It, too, was an expensive book in its day. The 1972 college book store price sticker in it is $13.55. That year many of my college books were in the range of $5 to $10 and I vaguely recall my most expensive was about $12 or $13. The minimum wage was $1.60/hr. However, I think books have gone up more than the consumer price index. Scaling that price to today gets only $64.

I like my 1966 copy of Davis, Foote, and Kelly that I picked up at a used book sale. I have used it as bedtime reading off and on for years. It has some neat stuff in it besides a thorough coverage of Surveying topics, including pictures of US CGS survey parties.

It, too, was an expensive book in its day. The 1972 college book store price sticker in it is $13.55. That year many of my college books were in the range of $5 to $10 and I vaguely recall my most expensive was about $12 or $13. The minimum wage was $1.60/hr. However, I think books have gone up more than the consumer price index. Scaling that price to today gets only $64.

My copy of the same 4 years ago was $32.95.