Feeling Frustrated

kc2ixe

Of COURSE you've had one of those days

Today, I start of simple - I have an hour or so to kill, so I go looking for KU1125 aka A341. As I'd seen this mark before, this one was more a 1/2 mile walk in the heat of the day than a "search" - found the disk under so much paint, I had to peel some off the disk. NYC uses a VERY heavy latex paint to cover graffiti, so amost all marks on city walls are painted to the point your lucky to find the disk, never mind READ it. Anyway, that one was simple

Later in the afternoon, I had another 90 minutes to kill, so I went looking for KU3269 (found good) and KU3328 - and THAT was when my frustraion for the day started. I had NO problem finding the area - but of course, all the gates were locked - I could SEE the edge of the monument - but of course could not read it. It would be a trivial mark to recover if someone from the water dept was there to let you on the property

Then tonight, I decided to look for 2 more marks in the 341 series - B341 (KU1124) and C341 (KU1123)

Walk along the edge of the highway right of way (but OUTSIDE the jersey barriers - aka in the park) and get to the location of KU1124 - NO joy - find what looks like it MIGHT be the stem, and find another disk - B341 RESET - which of course is non database - I'll submit a "Not found" for this one

Then I go to the location of KU1123 - find the ramp described - in fact was standing on TOP of the retaining wall, but there is a fence that prevents me from getting down to the mark - I think I've figure out how to get there - the wall is about 24" from the jersey barrier next to the highway - most of the way there is a 15 yd wide right of way between peoples back yards and the jersey barrier - I found a place where I should be able to access the buffer about 3/4 mile away - but a line of thunderstorms started to come through

So went looking for 5 marks - found 2, didn't find 1, and just can't GET to the other 2

Access can be a challenge sometimes. I've been waiting 8 months (and occasionally mentioning it) for an acquaintance who is a member of a sports club to get around to accompanying me. He has said that someday we can go across their grounds to the edge of a railroad ROW where I expect to find a disk.

The other side belongs to a hermit who I'm told only talks to his nephew, so unlikely to get permission there. No tresspassing signs on the nearest approach in. Or a long hike along the RR which isn't a great idea, even though this one doesn't seem to be posted.

Just to add to the fun, the mark is probably only slightly out of line from the rifle range, at 400 yards. Despite the berm at 200 yds, I don't plan to be there when it is noisy, so we have to do it before 8 AM or after 8 PM.

Patience, I tell myself. This disk is the closest one to my house that is still uninvestigated, so it is hard to be patient.

I have had more than my share of those days.

It is frustrating sometimes.

I looked for a NGS not found 3 times in a row in the same day,then just about dark the shadows hit the chiseled square and the US BM on the window seal ledge.

It was on the edge facing you not the edge facing up.

Then there was that 5 mile hike to the top of the Mountian and all I found was disapointment,and then a 5 mile walk back.

Why do you think Lewis and Clark called it Cape Disappointment?

We all have them days and have been for 200 years and more.

Lewis and Clark Cape Disappointment

edit speeeling

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1

My most frustrating one was KU1451. It was found a month earlier. When we went looking it was fenced off, with a police officer on duty. He would not let us near the bridge abutment. That's why I need NGS Volunteer ID. :o We did not search very hard for the nearby KU2171. A metal rod driven into 'refusal'. Oh, well. But, we did find two stations on Ward's Island.

Edited by Harry Dolphin
Once went 1 for 13 after a total loop of 6.5 miles on foot.

Later, had a 24 for 26 day. Went nine for nine today, all FTFs.

There are good days and bad days.

W

While waiting for my daughter's dance recital tonight, I found 2 out of 3, but want to go back tomorrow for hand held numbers and photos - the description of the area has changed

Both are remote marks to a vertical station! that have pids, and are FTFs- the actual station is "Not found" and should have been in the walk that is leading up to one of the remote stations - I think that one is going to be "not found"