Well Dangit, Here I Am Again..

Changing my mind of my GPS purchase. I've been reading and reading and reading, but I keep coming back to these 2 choices..

Lowrance iFINDER® Pro GPS.

Magellan Meridian Gold

I like how the iFINDER fits in my hand and the color(ish) screen is pretty chic. I've read some horror stories about the required memcard reader, but I wouldn't think that would be too big an issue for me. I'm betting that I can just use my Palm Pilot as a card reader/writer.

On the Magellan, I like the fact with about having all the state/interstats, lakes, rivers, etc and the compass, altimiter, etc.......but, it is just outside of what I want to spend for my first GPS.

I know there will be opinions here, but if those were the only 2 you could choose from, which of those would you choose. You don't need to explain why (unless you want too). Basically, think of yourself as a newbie that has been reading the features of each.......does the iFINDER edge out the Magellan?

Dondo

On the Magellan, ......but, it is just outside of what I want to spend for my first GPS.

From my quick search on Google.com, these units seem to be priced about the same. Granted I don't know much about bundled software with the Lowrance to know if it is a better deal, but both were about $200. I know that the Gold is a solid unit. It was my first unit ($150 for a used unit on evilbay with software and extras), then I went to the Platinum.

I think you will be happy with the Gold!

Edited by PodunkPaul
Magellan Meridian Gold

On the Magellan, I like the fact with about having all the state/interstats, lakes, rivers, etc and the compass, altimiter, etc.......but, it is just outside of what I want to spend for my first GPS.

Of all the Meridians only the Platinum has compass and altimeter. :mad:

Cornix

does the iFINDER edge out the Magellan?

Dangit Yes!

The first/main difference for me is the iFinder's display.

Once you load maps you'll really appreciate the 16-level grayscale and superior resolution of its display. Also with maps loaded, having a dedicated processor to update the display makes the unit a pleasure to use.

I've used both (actually the iFinder H20 which is nearly identical to the Pro) and I'd go with the iFinder. The reception is as good, if not better than the MeriGold and the display is far, far better.

The need to use a card reader is a inconvenience but not a horror story by any measure.

BTW, the MeriGold does not have an altimeter and magnetic compass. Also, you can have all the state/interstates, lakes, rivers on the iFinder. In fact I feel that their mapping software is better than the Magellan packages I've used.

You may want to upgrade to the H20 because its waterproof and the Pro is not. You also might want to conisder the Plus package. It comes with an MMC card, a Lowrance card reader (required for Lowrance maps) and the topo mapping software.

Edited by briansnat

I would recommend the iFinder Pro too, perhaps a "bit" biased because that's what I'm using right now :mad: But I honestly feel it is a better value. The Meridians are good stable units too and wouldn't be a bad choice either. But I have encountered a few Meridian owners while out in the field, and notice when comparing units (after all, boys will be boys lol) that I'm usually the one aquiring better signal strength of the two.

I've read some horror stories about the required memcard reader, but I wouldn't think that would be too big an issue for me. I'm betting that I can just use my Palm Pilot as a card reader/writer

You are correct. The LEI card reader Lowrance wants you to use is only a requirement when using their MapCreate software, and apparently only the latest version 6.3. If you want to do other stuff like transfer waypoints to/from the GPSr then any card reader will work fine.

As Brian said, the iFinder Pro is not water proof, only splash resistant. When you buy it though it comes with a custom ziplock bag & attached lanyard that you can stick the unit into, making it waterproof.

The bird weirdness aside...

If I had to choose between those two units as a first GPSr, I would say, "go eBay young man"! Don't sweat the details and get a used one off of eBay or the for sale forum here. You can buy a unit and try it out for awhile and if you don't like it, sell it here and get a different one. You shouldn't have to take much of a hit (basically just shipping) if you don't over pay and you might even be able to trade units around a make a few pennies if you do well with your bidding.

I have bid on a few new iFinder GO units just so I can play with one. I haven't gotten one yet at my price, but I have seen them go for around $55 which is what I should be able to resell it for if I pay the shipping. :P Just an idea