Download Fails

I have some maps and waypoints from Southern California currently stored in my GPSMAP60C.

Now to prepare for a trip to Washington, I wanted to load different maps and waypoints for that trip that I had prepared in Mapsource. After downloading the data, it said "download complete", but then I still had the old waypoints on the GPS unit!

I thought it would just overwrite them, as the user manual stated, but it did nothing with the waypoints. I am not sure whether it overwrote the maps.

I tried multiple times. I had all the new waypoints and maps selected on the mapsource screen, and the options for downloading waypoints and maps were checked. What was I doing wrong?

A quick test, so you have a warm fuzzy comfort level, would be to start a new Mapsource and then Receive from the Unit the Maps, Waypoints, etc and they should show as pink (or whatever color it looks like to you) for the area you want covered within MapSource. If it shows the right color after you download from the unit, it means the maps you want are on the unit.

fyi the unit holds 1000 waypoints, not 500. According to Garmin the GPSMAP 60C holds: 50 reversible routes, 10,000 track points with tracBack® technology (navigate to any track point on the displayed map), and 1000 waypoints with additional graphical icons for location identification

Glad you got your hardware problem solved. Often the source of the problem you describe when loading waypoints for a trip is that unit is set by default to show only the nearest 50 waypoints when you list waypoints. It only lists the closest 50 to your current (or last) location. You need to set it to Find by Name to show them all, or select "Change Reference" to reset the point from which it calculates the nearest waypoints.

More in the waypoints section of the FAQ.

Sputnik, thanks for the advice on changing the reference for waypoints. I was not aware you had to do that, but it makes sense and it worked the way you described it.

I now got the serial cable and it works, but slooowly! Takes about 3 minutes per MB. That explains why it comes combined with a power adapter.

Kudos to chumbo.com who sent me the serial cable within a day. They have a confusing description on their web site and no photo, but the correct Garmin part# (010-10277-00).

So I am saved for this trip. I guess I will have to send my gpsr in for repair after I return.