Magellan

I don't have an Explorist, but I am the owner of a sportrak Map. I would not recommend this unit to anyone.

After just over two years use, the unit decided it couldn't remember where the satellites were. I sent it back to Magellan, they updated the almanac and returned it. Now it takes anywhere from 10 minutes to one hour to acquire its position. Even that, I get an EPE (estimated probability of error) of over 100 feet. It then takes another 10-20 minutes to settle down to a more usable range of around 16 feet.

Now this would be fine you'd think. Unfortunately after being in use for about 1/2 hour or so, the unit will decide, even under clear skies with no obstructions, that an EPE of 75-100 feet is acceptable.

As far as the Mapsend Topo, while I do appreciate the fact that all of the streets are there, and no, I don't need turn by turn routing, it would be nice if the map actually agreed with my true location on the planet. Nothing like looking at the screen and finding out that the map shows me to be at least 100 feet from where I actually am. In addition, the topo marking features on the map, contour lines, are no where near what would be usable for even a casual hike in the woods.

I've been using an ST Map since Jan 2004 and mine has worked like a champ the whole time. I would (and have) recommend it to anyone. The ONLY things I don't like about it are:

1. How the data cable attaches to the back, but it is a minor annoyance that was easily resolved with a swivel mount that holds the cable and I clip my unit into so I dont have to attach the data cable using the thumbscrew.

2. For my area, the mapping software (I have MapSend Topo) is woefully out of date and Magellan is not updating it. We have a lot of growth here, but for someone in a much more well-established area, it should be fine as it has done well for me in other places I have visited.

I am not fully versed on the Explorist series, though I have read on them and the BIG downside of the 100-300 models is that they don't have GPSr-PC connectivity capability. When first starting this doesn't sound like a big deal, but very quickly you learn that manually entering coords is a MAJOR pain. Heck, I grouse every time I have to do it when I'm tracking down a multi! :lol:

Edit to add:

As for the topo features of MapSend Topo and the GPSr base maps, I can't really address that too much as I don't use the topo lines very often. On the rare occasions I have used them, they may not have been 100% accurate, but they did give me a good idea of what I was dealing with (or was about to).

Edited by Semper Questio