Rechargeable Batteries In Sportrack Color

I've tried using rechargeable batteries with my Magellan SporTrak Color, but the GPSr prematurely powers down due to low power. I recognize rechargeable batteries have a lower potential than alkaline batteries, and I've searched the GPSr menus for some kind of setting, but to no avail. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with this issue? Thanks in advance.

How many Mah are the batteries? If they are low, like 1200 - 1500, then yes, they will fade fast.

Some of the newer generations of batteries are up to 2300+Mah.

Also, NiCad are a much poorer choice than MiMH batteries. The NiCads tend to fade a lot faster over a much shorter period of the life of the battery.

Jonathan

How many Mah are the batteries?  If they are low, like 1200 - 1500, then yes, they will fade fast.

Some of the newer generations of batteries are up to 2300+Mah.

Also, NiCad are a much poorer choice than MiMH batteries.  The NiCads tend to fade a lot faster over a much shorter period of the life of the battery.

Jonathan

I believe they are 2300 Mah MiMH batteries by Energizer. At any rate, they were expensive.

I had the 2300 mih energizer ones in my old sport trak color. my power meter never fill all the way up with the rechargables. but I never had a power issue with the batteries dying or the unit cutting off on low power. it would warn me then depending on my light settings I could get 10 minutes of use out of it before they would die.

I had the 2300 mih energizer ones in my old sport trak color. my power meter never fill all the way up with the rechargables. but I never had a power issue with the batteries dying or the unit cutting off on low power. it would warn me then depending on my light settings I could get 10 minutes of use out of it before they would die.

When you used the rechargeable batteries, how much usaeage time would you get before the low battery warning?

What firmware are you using , seems to me, when I had a sportrak, that I read in the firmware notes that they changed something in it in regards to that specific problem when using rechargables. Maybe someone recalls this. I'm almost certain I never dreamt this. Regardless my power meter never was at the maximum even with fully charged batteries.

Edited by D0T-C0M

You should get at least 14-16 hours out of 2300 Mah Energizers. Try using a second set, there is a possibility that one of the two you are using is a dead cell. Also the batteries need to go through 3 or 4 charge/discharge cycles for you to get maximum power out of them.

Edited by trashcann

Poor condition battery contacts will cause the unit to think the batteries are exhausted due to the volt drop across the contamination. It is important to keep the battery contacts really clean. Use "cotton-buds" (or whatever) and a little switch cleaner to clean the spring terminals inside the unit. Then also clean the batery end terminals as well. NEVER touch any of the battery terminals with your fingers. Sweat has an amazing number of corrosive chemicals in it - acids, proteins, oils etc. While you're at it, also clean the terminals of your charger so you don't transfer any dirt to the battery terminals when you charge them.

Cleanliness is good - at least for electrical contacts!