Travel Bug Black Hole?

Hi all,

'scuse my newness. I am still trying to find my way around.

I just had an email notification for a cache that I had recently visited with "Toibs". We found 2 caches that evening and dropped a travel bug into one of them. Ironically another cacher has followed us and put the travel bug into the other cache we visited ;)

In the report the cacher says "The other 3 TB's listed as being in this cache seemed to have disappeared!" so I went to the page to have a look and there are now 4 bugs listed against this cache (including the one moved there that we had placed into a cache down the road).

This is the cache in question: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f8-a10fd53af394

Very few people have been there this month according to the site. Do some people just not bother logging their visits? Surely part of the "sport" is updating records and letting others keep track of their bugs and seeing who has visited their caches? If people pick up bugs and don't update the records then it all gets very messy for everyone doesn't it?

This cache is particularly well hidden so I wouldn't have thought that anyone has stumbled upon it and helped themselves, it does seem more likely that a cacher has visited, picked up the bugs and not reported back yet.

What do you all consider to be a reasonable amount of time for someone to log a visit / record a TB movement? Do you all do it yourselves religiously? Do many TBs just "disappear" never to be seen again?

Given the time of year, it is very possible that caches have been visited by people on holidays. A lot of North Americans visit Britain and often stay 2-3 weeks, without internet access. It would be helpful if they mention this in their logs so the next visitor to that cache would have an idea what happened to a TB.

A second scenario is that not everyone logs their finds on the net. I know of some who visit caches, sign the logs but never log on-line.

But to answer your question, I would suggest a 2 week waiting period before worrying about a TB gone missing.

We will be going on holiday next week and will not have internet access for 10 days :lol: (oh gawd I feel withdrawal symptoms coming on already) We will have a notebook to keep track of which caches we do, what TB's we move on etc. but it will be unlikely that logging them on-line will be a priority when we get home and it might take another day or two before all the logging is done.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

Interestingly most of the bugs seem to have moved on now and this cache is only showing 2, one of which is Cap'n Wee Eck which you placed in there so it looks like they were just a bit late logging the find (or maybe they read your note and felt guilty :lol:

Maybe you are right! I won't be making many friends on here at this rate :o

Thanks for the replies :o