Logbooks I Puzzle-/multi-caches ?

hkh

Hello everyone

A friend and I are planning a puzzlecache, where you first solve riddle and find tre caches, there have a hint about a four cache, "the main cache"

But we are not sure if we have to put logbooks and gifts in all fout caches or just in the last one. We think we should. What are your opinion ?

Or do we have to make four seperate caches ?

Regards, a newbie

Hi, hkh, and welcome.

Some people would set this up as a multi-cache, where the first cache give you the coordinates to the second, the second leads you to the third, and so on, until you get to the final. Only the coordinates of the first are posted on the listing, and only the final is typically logged online. It's entirely up to you as to whether you want to have log books and swag in the caches leading up to the final. This approach is useful if you want to have people find the stages in a particular order, perhaps to have them follow a trail with a spectacular view or something.

Another way is to list a traditional cache, but the listing does not have the coordinates of the final. Instead, it gives the location of the first stage, or of a convenient parking area. In the listing, you give the coordinates of each of the stages, and each intermediate stage somehow helps them get a portion of the coordinates of the final. This is useful if you don't care what order they find the stages in, and is useful for people who might have a reason to approach from a different direction or want to be able to easily grab the different stages in some order that's useful to them, perhaps even on different days. Again, typically only the final gets logged online, but you can do whatever you want at the intermediate stages.

And some people like to set up something like this as a series of regular caches, each of which can be logged separately. Each of the caches would contain a puzzle, or some piece of information, that would be combined to give the location of the final cache. In this case, each stage would be logged online and each stage would have a logbook, but it's up to you the size and contents of all of them. (Many people who do this uses micros for all but the final.) Using this approach, the finders get to log a "find" for each stage, and can find them in any order that works for them. If you think that people are going to be put off by a multi-cache, this might be the way to go.

I just finished (approved today) a puzzle set which has 4 pieces. Three are micros with logs. These three along with clues from the puzzle page of the fourth should lead them to the fourth cache. The fourth (puzzle) cache is loaded with stuff and a logbook. You just have to find the other three first and solve the puzzle to find the main cache. You would also get credit for 4 finds.

I also set it up as a members only cache. I plan on changing to a regular cache after it is found by a few people or 45 days whichever comes first. I have some higher end SWAG in the cache that I don't want to get muggled.

Hope this helps

Edited by rojeel