X-mark?

superpowerdave

I had noticed this EY2816 benchmark a few weeks ago before moving down to North Carolina. I had read PFF's note, saw the pictures that he'd posted and it seemed like a feasible mark to log provided it was not in a restricted access area on Seymour Johnson AFB.

So yesterday after finding a few I'd previously searched for, but had been unsuccessful due to street name changes, I was on that side of base and decided to give it a shot.

I parked the truck west of what the photograph PFF posted depicts, and then walked the trail east along the fenceline toward the 'Closed Road' portion of his picture. There I turned south, searching for the mark with no data sheet for guidance, just hoping I might see the mark. I did not, apparently, but I did find something else and I am hoping someone else can explain what it is, if anything.

Where PFF's photo shows 'Station,' at the small fork in the road, I found a large X painted in what appears to be highway lane marker type paint. In the center of the X there is a galvanized steel nail driven to failure in the concrete.

The photos I took are posted in the note I logged after PFFs entry for the station. I have not seen anything like this before and am hoping someone with far more experience than I can shed some light on my mystery.

Dave,

What you found is most likely a mark used to register aerial photographs to maps. These are placed so they show up clearly on the photo and can be used to make the photo align with known points on a map. This one appears quite old and worn. New ones are often a reflective material and are wider.

And I took a look at PFF's aerial photograph of the base. I had to laugh when I said the name of the base out loud (well, out loud inside my warped little mind).