Geocaching In Israel, Dangers?

Nighthawk700

My wife's sister is getting married in Israel, so we're all going over this summer. I took a quick peek, and there are 13 caches in Isael, some near where we will be. However, when I mentioned bringing my GPS and grabbing a few caches, my wife thinks that it's very dangerous to do that with all the conflicts over there, and that if people (on either side) see me walking around with a GPS or caching, or whatever, I might have serious problems. My thought is "If it's so dangerous, why are we even going?" but that's besides the point at this time. Has anyone else cached over there? Had problems of any type with either side of the conflict?

Thanks for any feedback.

I can't really speak to geocaching in Israel but I did visit there back in 1996. I like to hike etc. so a couple of us set off to explore a remote canyon not far from the Dead Sea. We hadn't gone more than a half hour or so when we were met by some Israeli solders who quietly asked us to return to the road. I'm guessing that some type of surveillance camera or detector had picked us up. Things are quite a bit more unsettled now than they were then.

I'm assuming anyone who places a geocache knows the area and what is "safe" and what isn't but don't be surprised if someone is watching.

Yours aye,

I was in Israel last year for six-months, stationed with the MFO on the Egypt/Israeli border. As I have cousins (ben dodeem) in Netanya I was able to visit nearly every weekend. Contrary to mainstream media, Israel is safe. Their is more violence, and fear of violence in California (LA), NYC, Miami, Chicago, Philidelphia and every other major metropolitan US city than in Israel.

I am sure the local geocachers have placed their caches in safe areas. Bring your GPS and travel the countryside. I've been all over the Negev, Be'er Sheva, Tel Aviv, Herziliya, and Netanya. Go and enjoy!

Hebrew Hammer

(Virginia, USA)

I am sure the local geocachers have placed their caches in safe areas.  Bring your GPS and travel the countryside.  I've been all over the Negev, Be'er Sheva, Tel Aviv, Herziliya, and Netanya.  Go and enjoy!

Hebrew Hammer

(Virginia, USA)

I went and enjoyed. However, with my sister-in-law's wedding, plus all the other family stuff, I never had a chance to do any Geocaching anyway. Maybe next time. Thanks.

Nighthawk700

(also from Virginia)