Air Travel W/ A Gps Unit

HuckleberryMommy

I've only tried twice - attendant on first airline said NO (and I found out later the official policy for them was YES), while the second said YES after checking with the pilot. Couple of times the attendant came back wanting to compare it to the flight deck displays and it eventually vanished to the flight deck for a good 15 minutes :o ....without me :o

Daven0615

Has anyone hooked their GPS up to their laptop, and tried using it in conjuntion with say MS Streets & Trips while flying?

Any ideas as to how say MS Streets & Trips would interpert that data???

I'd think that that should be an interesting track. . .

Digital_Cowboy

We recently returned from flying to WA state from FL. We used Microsoft Streets and Trips on the laptop on all legs of our flight. We "pinned" the USB GPS receiver inside the pull down window cover (we used the window behind hubby's shoulder so we still had another window for viewing) and had very good satellite reception. (Usually 6 to 7 satellites.) The Streets program was fascinating to watch, creating a gps trail and watching the airplane speed (up to 538 MPH!). We were able to see altitude, bearing, zoom in and zoom out. Great fun to observe, even when cloud cover obscured our view of the ground.

About the restrictions: we flew on American Airlines and were never questioned about the gps device attached to our laptop. While their manual states "gps systems" are not allowed, so since ours is only a receiver we had no problem using it. The steward was aware of what we were doing because he was checking the underseat power unit which, unfortunately, was not working in our row of seats.