Sd Card Gps?

You're playing my song!

Since I like to have multiple cache and benchmark waypoint files in my GPSr (as well as relevant data pages in my PDA), I regard expandable memory as a requirement for my use. I've had a Meridian Platinum for several years and recently acquired an Explorist 500. Comparing the two against each other:

The 500 advantages

- good crisp color display

- hierarchal file management (files within folders)

- smaller form factor

- USB

- Li-Ion battery (ok, some people think this is a deal-breaker; much discussion on this elsewhere. Charging in the car as I drive between caches/benchmarks, I can operate indefinitely. AAA battery clip reported to be coming out in near future)

The Meridian advantages

- Cheaper (the gold is a great value)

- Larger (but coarser resolution) monochrome screen

- More features in terms of number of optional screens, data fields, projection capability

- USB (with card reader)

I understand there are some Lowrance SD models, but I know nothing about them. You would want to consider the mapping software to go with any GPSr purchase.

Yup, we have 5 GPSs and two of them have the SD card and those are the two we use all the time. Not only just because they happen to be the easiest to use, but we live in a very cache dense area. When we take weekend trips, each city we might want to cache in, is a PQ all of its own because of the 500 cache limit. So we always have more than one cache loaded in our GPSs. Not because we will find that many, but because we cache on the fly just looking for caches that are around us, or that look interesting. It avoids the need to preplan caches for a trip.

I understand there are some Lowrance SD models, but I know nothing about them. You would want to consider the mapping software to go with any GPSr purchase

Yup all the Lowrance iFinders, except the entrylevel GO & GO2, use SD/MMC cards for data storage, and people have successfully tested cards up to 1 gigabyte capacity in the units. If you want a ton of waypoint management, in particular check out the Lowrance iFinder Hunt it is capable of managing 2000 waypoints in internal memory, (and of course more in the card) which I think is the highest capacity of any consumer GPSr.

Doh. Guess I should have been more clear.

I'm looking for an SD Card GPS. One you can plug into the SD Card port on your pocket PC and recieve a GPS signal that something like Mapoplis can run with.

Thanks for the great feedback though. For the record, if the explorist could route as well as the 60CS, I'd be a buyer.

Ha! I *thought* I wasn't quite grokking what you were asking about...the CF reference makes more sense to me now.

I'm sure almost everyone has heard the old joke about the guy on his hands and knees underneath a street light late at night. A passerby asks him what he's looking for, and he responds "My car keys." The passerby joins the search, but after 15 fruitless minutes he asks, "Where did you lose them?"

"About a half block that way."

"There? Then how come you're looking here?"

"The light's better."

I think I wanted to answer the question to which I had something to say; sorry to divert from the question you asked.

(and yeah, the autorouting on the explorist is a decided compromise)

I have used the Pharos CF GPS, the Crux II CF GPS and the Holux CF GPS. I have had decent performance out of all of them. I know the Coast Guard uses the Holux on some of their small rescue craft. I use the Pharos for my everyday unit with my Dell Axim x50v.

There are a lot of nay-sayers around here that will tell you that a PDA is no good for caching. I have used three different PDAs for all kinds of field use for over two years. I have never damaged one or banged it up. If it is wet or dusty, I put it in an Aquapac. Not only is it waterproof, but I can use it through the bag.

I use Memory-Map Navigator for my software. It comes with both a PC and PDA version bundled together. I can use all types of maps with it, as well. The aerial photos (DOQQs) are the best, especially in urban areas.

There are many good CF GPS for PPC's. Check www.gpspassion.com One consideration. There's a new chip set that's been developed. I believe it's called SIRF III that's the "cat's meow". Currently though it only comes in a self contained unit that works on bluetooth. Most PPC's operate on Bluetooth so that should not be a problm if you have it. If not, you can go to one of many CF types that plug in. Check the web page I mentioned.