City Select V6 Software Question

Question: if I loaded the maps that I need from my home computer and take the City Select CD with me on my trip, could I just insert the CD into another computer and copy any additional maps onto my GPS?

I know nothing about the software and have found a slightly used 60CS for $200.00. I was going to buy the 72CS for the added memory but the price on the 60CS makes it hard to pass up.

No, what he is saying is that you will need to install the software on any other computer you might use. You just can't insert the cd in any computer and start copying maps.

If you have a laptop, you install the software once and take the laptop with you. This way if you need to change maps, power up the laptop and plug in the gps and start copying.

I believe that in addition to installing you will have to have the unlock codes that you used on the first computer so you could put them in each additional computer that you wish to use. I have the software installed on a laptop for traveling and on my desktop and I don't have any problems.

Put another way, City Select is really just a big database of maps, points of interest, autorouting info, etc. MapSource is the program that reads this data and lets you load it onto your GPSr. You have to have MapSource loaded on a PC for it to use City Select. If you stop by some public library, they probably won't be too thrilled to let you install MapSource. If you are staying with friends or family, they may well let you install the software.

Garmin doesn't lock the software to keep you from installing it on multiple computers (but be sure to read the license agreement). Garmin software will only let your software talk to two GPSr's. You have to "unlock" the software for each one. Multiple computers taling to the same 60CS does work.

There is another option.

When you use Mapsource to select which maps to upload to your GPS, it uses your selection to retrieve data and build index information for those maps. The resulting indexes and their maps are output to an .img file. The generation of this file takes up a significant amount of the time spent in the map uploading process.

Anyway, during this process, you have the option to upload to your GPS OR a removeable drive. On my computer, these drive choices are basically the drive letters associated with my USB2.0 card reader.

So, if you happen to have a card reader and some large cards, you could figure out all the maps you need for your journey and divide them into groups that will fit onto your 60C. For each group, output them (ie: the resulting img file) to a card instead of your GPS and then burn that card's img file onto a CD. Repeat the process for each group. *I think you need to rename the .img file so that each one has a unique name so it won't conflict with others during uploading to the GPS.*

You'll then end up with CDs containing all your map groups.

The next question is how you'll get them into your GPS.

Well, you can use Sendmap:

http://gps.chrisb.org/en/download.htm

Sendmap is a small Windows/DOS program that requires no installation. You can run it from a disk to transfer img files into your Garmin GPS. It supports COM (RS 232 serial) or USB transfers.

You definitely want to try this out prior to your trip but it does work.

GeoBC

but I would think you could use any computer since you are not loading software.

It all depends on the port access that the Internet cafes allow.

Some are quite anal about allowing people to insert CDs or plugging into ports. Of course, I haven't used a 'net cafe in a long time so perhaps that has changed.

BTW, there is a version of SendMap for Palm PDAs but it is a bit buggy.

Hmm...that just got me to thinking about my HP 100LX PDA. It's a true DOS palmtop. It uses a PCMCIA slot but I'm pretty sure I can get a CF->PCMCIA adapter for it...which means I can xfer files using my palmtop instead of my laptop!

GeoBC

I would think you could use any computer since you are not loading software.

I don't see why it should make any difference. In either method you're moving files onto their computer from your device (memory card or CDROM) and running some program on it (whether SendMap or MapSource). Either way requires trust by the computer owner that you're not planning on causing any harm and probably that the computer doesn't have any important data on it.

SendMap on your own PDA sounds like a better option unless you'll have access to a friend's computer.

I don't see why it should make any difference. In either method you're moving files onto their computer from your device (memory card or CDROM) and running some program on it (whether SendMap or MapSource). Either way requires trust by the computer owner that you're not planning on causing any harm and probably that the computer doesn't have any important data on it.

It's more hassle to install Mapsource mainly because it is an extra, longer step on the borrowed/rented computer. Also, having the pre-indexed .img file saves time over having Mapsource to do it for you. This literally takes at least half of the time spent during the map uploading process.

Oh, one other thing: I suggested that COM might be the best method for xferring but I forgot how slow it is (9600 baud). Try USB first, and then COM as a last resort.

GeoBC

I don't see why it should make any difference.  In either method you're moving files onto their computer from your device (memory card or CDROM) and running some program on it (whether SendMap or MapSource).  Either way requires trust by the computer owner that you're not planning on causing any harm and probably that the computer doesn't have any important data on it.

It's more hassle to install Mapsource mainly because it is an extra, longer step on the borrowed/rented computer. Also, having the pre-indexed .img file saves time over having Mapsource to do it for you. This literally takes at least half of the time spent during the map uploading process.

Oh, one other thing: I suggested that COM might be the best method for xferring but I forgot how slow it is (9600 baud). Try USB first, and then COM as a last resort.

GeoBC

Don't forget that if you use USB you will have to install the 60c USB driver in whatever computer you use to transfer the maps.