Vista Vs. Legend C

I purchased my first GPS unit, a etrex Vista (not the C), last week. It seemed to match the price/feature level I was looking for.

However, I've experienced 3 random "power-offs" already (I've read the threads addressing this) and I'm concerned about a couple of other things:

- I'm guessing this model has been around a while and the hardware could be a bit dated.

- The last firmware update on Garmin site is dated 12/2003. This seems like a long time since an update compared with other units. Are they done updating this model?

Two of the features I thought I'd like with the Vista are the "off-line" compass and the barometric altimeter. However, I've found the compass requires constant re-calibration.

Now I just realized that I could get the Legend C for about the same price as the Vista after rebate.

If the compass and b. altimeter are non-factors, am I missing out on anything by exchanging the Vista for the Legend C?

Does the Garmin etrex car mount work with both?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. These forums have been invaluable so far.

I have a Vista and love it, but if they are the same price, the Legend C wins hands down.

Get it. It reportedly has improved reception. It also has autorouting, that great color display and far better battery life. It seems to be a tad smaller as well.

Though the compass in the Vista is very nice to have, the benefits of the Legend C far outweigh that in my eyes.

I'm not sure about the car mount. You can go to Garmin's website and compare the part numbers. If you have the mount for the Vista and it isn't compatible, you can always sell it here.

I would have to agree with Brian. Although I have a 60CS (aka the mercedes of gps), I rarely if ever use the electronic compass. I also have never needed the barometric altimeter.

I have owned (now sold) a LegendC and can say that it is much better than the vista. It powers on and locks onto satellites much much quicker. Also, the reception had been excellent even under tree cover.

The color screen and autorouting (with software) is just awesome. If your hooked on a compass, just buy one from a sports store and carry it with you, which is something you should do anyway.

I might just buy another LegendC as I miss it :laughing:

Edited by moonpup

On Amazon (where I purchased the Vista), the price comparison is:

Vista: $224

Legend C: $289 - $50 rebate = $239.

I went ahead and boxed up the Vista and ordered the Legend C. The potential for improved reception seals the deal right there. I mountain bike under a lot of tree cover. I won't expect miracles though.

The part #s for the car mount are the same, so that's a bonus.

Thanks for the input.